Traditions Tracker 209 .50 cal?

Raider2000

Thought that I'd finally get into the 21st century with my very first ever inline ignition Muzzleloader but being that I have a few old designs that are fairly reliable, "50 year old Hawken .54, & a repro Zuave .58" I didn't want to spend a lot on a rifle that I would most likely shoot maybe 30 shots through it a year "after initial sighting in & all."

This would be a strictly a hunting weapon not a formal/informal target weapon.

My question is:

Is this rifle reliable, accurate enough for a humane kill shot out to 100 "or so" yards, & is there any quirks I should know about this weapon?

The Tracker models are known to generally shoot fairly well with their 1 in 28" inch twist barrel. They require some load experimentation and development just like any other model, with their main drawback being their shorter carbine length barrel.
But they've been around for a long time and have harvested a lot of deer. They probably at least shoot on par with a modern rifled pump shotgun. It might be a little bit of a challange to get it to consistently shoot into a paper plate plate at 100 yards, but it should be more doable if a scope is mounted on it.
I recently looked at some #209 Trackers in the $100 range which I thought made them a real good value. Some have better trigger pulls and smoother operating safety levers then others. But they do have a simple and reliable plunger bolt design.

Bass pro has some user ratings & reviews:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults#reviews

Last edited:
Back