Traditions St. Louis Hawken Kit build

Tidewater_Kid

My wife gave me one of the Traditions Hawken .50 caliber kits for Christmas. Just finished it. I replaced the plastic sights with some that I think look much better. I filled the threaded holes in the barrel and cut a dove tail. The stock color came out real nice. My old digital camera doesn't do it justice. I replaced the plastic ramrod with a nice hickory one I made. Still adding some stock wax. I just need to christen it soon.

Thanks to FrontierGander for the inspiration.

TK

Attachments

• Hawken-01.jpg
    Hawken-01.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Hawken-02.jpg
    Hawken-02.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 126
  • Hawken-03.jpg
    Hawken-03.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Looks like you did a good job on it. I've got one of the St Louis Hawkens CVA used to import from Spain.

It's actually a blessing that they come with plastic sights. I was able to take my kit to the 100 yrd range, sight down the barrel and move the sight away from my eye until both the front and rear sight were perfectly clear. 3" higher up than the factory sight setting.
img_8110.jpg

img_8113.jpg

Knew they were made in Spain. I thought they were made by the same people but somebody somewhere said that wasn't true.

I used FrontierGranders method. Stain, BLO (2 coats), Tru-Oil (four light coats), furniture wax.

He did more coats of Tru-Oil, but I was happy after 4.

Knew they were made in Spain. I thought they were made by the same people but somebody somewhere said that wasn't true.
I know mine are all made in Spain. I have heard that early on, CVA was using different barrels. My oldest is made in 1996. It's a Fox River 50. Each barrel has a serial number followed by a manufacture date. Mine are '96,'99,'15,'17.

The two 1990s ones are CVA models.

I have heard that early on, CVA was using different barrels.

The early mountain rifles had Douglass barrels. In the early days of TC they used Sharon and Douglass barrels.

Very nice !!!

I replaced the plastic sights with some that I think look much better.
I'll say and did not know they are coming out with plastic. I put one of these kits together, a few years back. You did a fine job and may I suggest adding a flash-cup. Again, nice work and thank you for sharing ... :)

Be Safe !!!

Back