traditions mountainer rifle

gpboy57

i have a traditions mountaineer 54 cal muzzle loader-does anybody have any info on them- i have looked at the traditions web site .i bought this rifle a few years ago form cabelas or bass pro not sure-if any body has one,would like to hear of what they think of this rifle,it is not listed in their new catalog,i think this was a close out model

traditions mountaineer rifle

this rifle is 54 cal,side lock single trigger-big brass trigger guard with courve,buckhorn rear sight,brass front sight ,it looks similar to the mountainman rifles that lyman makes-it is a pretty rifle-it is muzzle heavy but balances good in your hand.

It sounds like a nice, capable rifle similiar to a single trigger Hawken or Pioneer model. Their sidelock models are mechanically similiar depending on the stock design, buttplate, patchbox, trigger, rate of rifling twist etc...
They've made a lot of model variations.
They're usually reliable shooters, and if you tilt the rifle and tap it on the side a few times after dropping powder into the barrel, it helps powder go into the drum (closer to the nipple) which may prevent hangfires.
What's the rate of twist listed on your barrel, 1 in 48", 1 in 66" or other?

I have had a traditions Mountain rifle and it makes a good wall hanger. POS Heavy trigger pull.
I have had a Traditions flint Trapper Pistol. POS with the touchhole drilled BELOW the bottom of the pan.
I have had a Traditions Kentucky pistol.POS,misfired all the time and heavy trigger pull.
So, in my opinion, Traditions products are a POS waste of time and money.

Just like with anything, every company has quality control issues. The best way to protect oneself is to either buy in person and try to evaluate as thoroughly as possible before the purchase, or if buying by mail order go with a company with a decent return policy.
Sending it to back to Traditions or going to a gunsmith is another option.
Even some expensive guns are a crap shoot. Sorry to hear about all the defects, I empathize with you considering all the bad experiences. :(
I've found that Thompson Center has one of the best overall "No BS" lifetime warranty repair service of any muzzle loading gun company, and it covers both new and used factory built guns with only rare exceptions.

Yes, T/C honors their warranties well. I have had wonderful guns from Investarms,Italy. Who makes the Lyman guns and Cabela's and a couple others. Good quality,fit and finish. Pedersoli and Uberti make fine guns too.
And like you said, even a expensive gun may be a piece of crap because of mass production.
Traditions has a problem with quality control. Always have. If you happen to get a good one it's fine. But I have heard so many complaints about them.
I'm not speaking of their inlines because I have no experience with them,but I won't ever buy anything that says Traditions on it again.
Guess you could say, I'm gun shy!!!:D

Back