Traditions 12 ga Trappper questions

Toshmo

Inactive
I am thinking about buying a Traditons Trapper 12 ga muzzleloading shotgun for hunting upland and forest game.
Have no experience with ML shotguns. Anyone have any experience with the Trapper? Is it worth a $240 investment?
What other goodies would you recommend?

Smoothbore

It's a good investment.
My last smoothbore was a 28 guage.
It cost me $1200. It's my second and I call them my yellowpagers guns. "Reach out"
They shoot well and get birds and bunny's. Remember to practice and get em on the jump. You won't have the reach like in a 28.
I shoot a Christian Springs 12 ga. I have to get right under the birds and shoot quick. But it brings em' down.

Wildwilley,
I do not understand the statement you made about not having the reach like the 28. I thought the 12 ga would have more "range" than a 28 ga. Could you explain. I have't a clue when it comes to ML shotguns. How is hunting with the ML shotgun? Does the smoke hinder you after the shot?

Reach

The small barrell and way I wad cause the shot to exit the barrel like a small cloud.
Exiting a 12ga barrel at 72 cal.
Exiting a 28ga barrel at 54cal.
The smallness of the opening acts like a choke.
The small choke for a 12ga is only 69 cal. So my 28ga. stays together longer and farther.
The other thing about my 28 is I use almost the same powder charge. (70gr fffg/28ga - 80gr fffg/12ga)
When you get your smoothy. Buy a few different wads (Compression, felt, etc.) Try different loads and pattern that gun. You will be supprised at what it can do.
I've guided people on turkey hunts and they use regular shotguns I use my flinter. I have bagged more at longer ranges than the 12's.
Now if this all makes sense to you and your thinking about buying a 28ga. it's gonna be pretty hard. Your available choices are 12 ga and 20ga/62 cal. The 20 is a good one and most of the guys I hunt with have flinters in this cal.
You can get a small choke in the New Englander for these and I think it chokes down to 58cal.
Research and if you want to buy a custom, pick up a copy of Muzzeloder magazine. It has a ton of ads.

Wildwilley,
Thanks for expanding my horizons on ML shotgunning. I had no clue about the versitility of ML shotguns and chokes. Do you have any recommendations for books on this subject? The only reason I am contemplating a ML is the price of the CVA Traditions 12 ga. I really do not want to spend more than $250.00 for a new toy. What do used ML shotguns go for? Do you only use flinters? Are percussins OK? Pros and Cons? Thanks for getting back to me!!!

Smoothbores

The first smoothbore I owned was an old New Englander.
We ground off the percussion made a touch-hole and added a flintlock.
I've owned about 20 since then.
Singles-Doubles and Swivelbreeches.
Mine don't have chokes, so I can shoot patched round ball and shot. I've killed deer with a Tulle 20ga at 110 yards. (The best shot I've ever made with a smoothy.)
I hunt small game and have shot sporting clays with them. (flinters) I can only shoot about 10 to 15 targets out of a round.
Some of the shots a multiples and most of my guns are single shot.
I almost always use flintlocks but have a good selection of percussion guns. I shoot a lot of competition and most of these go by date, 1760-1840, 1830-1880, etc. You can use any gun manufactured in those time periods.
My father says that what ever you can do with a cartrige gun I can do with a flintlock. It's his fault... He bought me the first one in kit form to keep me quiet.
I can't tell you anything about books. Most books on smoothies are terrible. Not enough info.
I would check on Muzzeloader Mags web site and ask some questions there. I'll give you a brief rundown on what my loads are like.
For my Christian Springs 12ga.
1. 70-80gr. of fffg
2. pre-lube felt wad
3. In the same powder measure I load about 1 1/2 measures #6 shot.
4. pre-lub felt wad
With this combo I have won a dozen smooth bore matches and killed a lot of game.
I must warn you about the kick. What you have done is sort of plugged the barrel. As you load you will notice how much air pressure pushes back on your wads. Just take you time to load and everything will work out fine.
Prime with ffffg
For turkey you might want to add some larger shot. Make it like a duplex load.
With the new New Englander you can shoot all types of shot so play around and have fun.

Wildwilley,
Thanks for opening my eyes to a new challange. I look forward to purchasing a ML shotgun and getting familiar with it. Thanks again for all your informative replys.

Back