Traditional Gun Cabinets

Crow61

If a person has his/her guns locked in a traditional gun cabinet with a glass door are the guns considered "secured" if the person has a family member or guest that was charged with a felony?

A person can break into anything that they really want to bad enough. But, I am talking about a "legal" matter.

A person can break into anything that they really want to bad enough. But, I am talking about a "legal" matter.
There is a big difference between getting into if you want it badly enough and breaking into it easily. A gun cabinet is not secure.

While the details here are thin, it appears what you are asking is this:

1) there is a household member currently under indictment for a felony, and the there is a requirement that any guns in the household be secured to prevent their access by that person.

2) this is a condition of parole or something since you said "charged" and not convicted.

Considering that, let's go through it logically. If something were to happen that landed this in court, say the accused felon took a gun and was arrested again, or if a parole officer visited and saw the cabinet, then you'd be on the line to answer for that and have to be judged. I don't think any reasonable judge is going to "consider anything you can break into with a soup spoon as secure." So I really think PlayboyPenguin is correct.

"Secure" has a much more specific meaning - it shouldn't be able to just be casually smashed open. This doesn't mean you need to go drop a grand on a monster safe - trigger locks, or a snake-like cable that goes through all the actions, etc. should suffice, and the keys kept secured elsewhere. This would be a low-cost way to solve the problem. Around here, most local PDs give away trigger/action locks for free, so maybe yours does, too.

AZ state law says a secured weapon is in a metal locking container that is bolted or tethered with a metal wire to another secure object.

My interpretation is that a glass door is not good. Otherwise I would argue my whole house is a secured facility.

Okay, this person was on probation, but is no longer. All that is behind. There have been no other problems except for maybe a speeding ticket or two at the most.

The person has no desire to have and or use a gun for anything. This person has only fired a gun once or twice many years ago. There just isn't any desire or reason to have a gun. This person is not violent. But, does have family members and friends that own guns.

Exactly! There is no way that this person would be a threat to anyone reguardless of how many guns there were around.

Now it's back to my original question.

Does a gun cabinet with lockable glass door fit the requirements?

I am just trying to help someone that I know. Some of you mentioned trigger locks.

If there are trigger locks on all the guns is this person good to go?

In most cases I would argue yes. But some trigger locks just need a generic key, I have trigger locks that will open with a jewlers screwdriver. If something out of the ordinary happens, the firearm owner is at fault.

Back to your origional question, the answer is no.

I agree, its best to ask local LE if that qualifies. If it doesn't, then I guess leaving something in my locked car in my locked garage is leaving it unsecured?

Back