Trading in Remington 700 sps to gander mountain

Huh12345

Anyone have any experience with trading guns into gander mountain? I'm thinking about it just for the ease of it

They won't give you near what it's worth and their prices are horrible on new and used guns they sell as well as many other things. I swore off gander mountain 2-3 years ago and haven't been in one since. The people they let work behind the gun counter are idiots!

Getting 60% of value from gander would be about the best you can do. Remember it's 60% of their value assessment.

I went with a guy wanting to sell a 98% quality Beretta Silver pigeon 12 gauge with the Beretta custom case. They offered $600. The guy left and sold it privately for $1200.

When we walked in he said to me I could have it for $100 over what they offer. On the way out I didn't even ask. If it was a cartoon there would have been smoke coming out of his ears.

One of the better ways to sell a used gun is if you know a good gunshop that you like dealing with, that will sell it for you on consignment. They do get a commission, but you have some control over the price. It has to be the right place; I only know of a couple of places that I would do that around here.

Even on consignment you will lose 15-20%.
Your best bet is to sell it yourself; locally FTF will be the easiest; but listing it here and on other sites will work well. Gander, pawn shops, etc typically give 60% as they have costs and profits they have to factor in.

Clean your rifle and make it look as good as it possibly can. Take the rifle into Gander Mtn and see what they offer you. If you don't like what they offer walk away and sell it yourself. It doesn't hurt to see what they'll offer, and there is no rule that you have to accept it if you don't like it.

I'll disagree about Gander - I have one where I live and I have seen what stupid prices they offer - they make pawn shops look generous.

I've got to second and third what everyone here is saying about Gander Mountain....No way would I sell them a used gun and no way would I buy a new gun from them. That being said, I have got two good deals from them on used rifles, but they were not popular calibers and I'm sure they were in them for nothing....

Nunya

This is a water cooler rumor but I was told , today, Dicks was buying them out.

If that is true, just gives more reason to never do business with Gander. Dicks and Gander can both fall by the wayside as far as I'm concerned. I won't ever step foot inside either one.

Have a few Gander stores in the Houston area. Been a couple of times, I've overheard a conversation between someone trying to sell/trade a firearm with a Gander employee. Both times the Gander offer was so low, the person declined it.

Sorry for the hijack, but here are the GM stores set to close. Keeping it somewhat related, OP, if one of these is yours, I would avoid it as they will not want additional inventory:

From USA Today:
Here is a list of the Gander Mountain stores set to close:

Alabama – Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa

540 E Meighan Blvd, Gadsden, AL 35903
7765 Airport Blvd Ste 609, Mobile, AL 36608
2424 Eastern Blvd, Montgomery, AL 36117
3325 McFarland Blvd E, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405

Georgia – Augusta, McDonough, Snellville

145 Mason McKnight Jr Pkwy, Augusta, GA 30907
1970 Jonesboro Rd, McDonough, GA 30253
1200 Scenic Hwy, Ste G, Lawrenceville, GA 30045 (Snellville store)

Illinois – Champaign, Algonquin, Springfield

2006 N Prospect Ave, Champaign, IL 61822
1400 S Randall Rd, Algonquin, IL 60102
2371 Chuckwagon Dr, Springfield, IL 62711

Indiana – Merrillville, Greenfield

1630 Southlake Mall, Merrillville, IN 46410
2175 Barrett Dr, Greenfield, IN 46140

Minnesota – Rogers, Mankato, Woodbury

20870 Rogers Drive, Rogers, MN 55374
1940 Adams Street, Mankato, MN 56001
10470 Hudson Road, Woodbury, MN 55129

New York – New Hartford

8635 Clinton Street, New Hartford, NY 13413

North Carolina – Raleigh, South Charlotte

2100 Village Market Place, Morrisville, NC 27560 (Raleigh store)
13610 Hoover Creek Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28273 (South Charlotte store)

Tennessee – Chattanooga

5756 Highway 153 Suite F, Hixson, TN 37343 (Chattanooga store)

Texas – Houston, Killeen, Laredo, Lubbock, Round Rock, San Antonio, Sugar Land, Texarkana, Waco, West Houston

19820 Hempstead Hwy, Houston, TX 77065
701 E Central Texas Expy, Killeen, TX 76541
2302 NE Bob Bullock Loop, Ste 101, Laredo, TX 78045
4006 W. Loop 289, Lubbock, TX 79407
3203 S Interstate 35 Ste 500, Round Rock, TX 78664
8203 State Highway 151, Ste 104, San Antonio, TX 78245
19890 SW Freeway, Sugar Land, TX 77479
2301 University Avenue, Texarkana, TX 75503
2701 S Jack Kultgen Expy, Waco, TX 76706
13441 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77082 (West Houston store)

West Virginia – Charleston

2600 Mountaineer Blvd, Charleston, WV 25309

Wisconsin – Eau Claire, Germantown

6440 Scully Dr, Eau Claire, WI 54701
W190 N10768 Commerce Cir, Germantown, WI 53022

If you like getting kicked in the balls then sell or buy at GM, me personally I would rather sell it online at Gun Broker or one of the other online sellers. The key is finding a local FFL that will ship a gun for you cheap. So just curious, what caliber is the 700?

If you feel the need to "trade in" or sell to a shop, then sell the rifle to a local gun shop.

Avoid GM and Cabela's like the plague.

They pay pennies on the dollar. Expect less than 40% of market value; and don't be surprised if you're offered as little as 25%. If they offer more, that's great (maybe). But I wouldn't even give them a chance. I'd just go elsewhere.

One of the most extreme examples I have personally been involved with:
I was offered less than $40 for a (nicely) refinished and customized Mossberg 800BSM prototype, by the Lehi, Utah Cabela's. (I don't recall the exact number. I believe it was just $15; but even $40 was a serious insult.)
Obviously, I did not accept. :rolleyes:

Two weeks later, I listed the rifle locally for $650 and was inundated with calls/texts. In the end, I traded the rifle, straight-across, for a $550 revolver, and the recipient thought he was screwing me on the deal.

I didn't realize they had that many store's, I've never even seen one. Something about trade in's with guns, you'd be lucky to get 50% of it's value from anyone. Sell it yourself and pay cash for a new one.

Back