Trade-in Value for S&W 686

PeterM

Inactive
I have a S&W 686 stainless with the 8 3/8" barrel. I bought it new at the beginning of this year and its had less than a 1000 rounds through it-mostly all target velocity lead bullets. Its clean and in excellent condition. I'd like to trade for a new, 6" 686 as it would be a little easier to handle for me (less weight). Could any of you more experienced readers give me a general idea of how much I should get on a trade?
Thankyou.

Pete

Trade-in value will probably be $280 to $310.

I just sold a 4" model of the same revolver
for $330 to an individual & was offered $275 trade-in at a shop.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Unfortunately, right now used wheelguns are a buyers market. Good if you're buying, but a killer if you're selling. Also that 8 3/8 barrel is gonna cost you as this is not really a very popular length.
If you trade it in, remember that the dealer has to be able to resell it at a competitive price while still making an acceptable profit. So they can't give you what its really worth.
Best bet would be to sell to an individual. I'd say the gun should fetch between $275 - $300.
Since all you really want is a different barrel length, you might try contacting S&W and see how much they would charge to change it.

Back