Trade Beretta for Steyr??

BigMike

Hello All!!
I had an opportunity to look at a Steyr M40 today, and I must say that I am completely sold. However, in thinking how I would obtain such a piece, my wife has stated that there will be "...NO more..." additional handguns in the house than what I already have :( But-I can trade one for another. So my daily CCW carry is my Glock 26, and I will keep this. I also have a Beretta Brigadeer in 9mm, with several hi-cap mags, and it is in good shape. The Beretta is the one I would trade if I am going to do it.

My question to all TFL members: Should I trade the Beretta for the Steyr? I have never had problems with it, and no complaints either. Thoughts, opinions, and comments are all welcome!

Thanks, Mike

Bigmike.the steyr is very nice gun, but keep your Beretta!!!! that is a great gun i have 2 of them. If you really want the steyr buy it with out wife knowing or buy her something nice. I would hate you to regret selling your Beretta. But its totaly up to you. How much do you like your glock?????
If you like the steyr alot more and it fits well sell your glock?
Oh well i hope this helped

House

Cost of Brigadier + 8.25% tax rate: $596.26

Cost of Steyr M40 + 8.25% tax rate: $618.11

If you are lucky, you will get a $250.00 trade-in value which means you will forfeit $346.36 of equity from the Beretta and still owe $368.11. In effect, your Steyr pistol will cost you $714.47. If you are really lucky and have a brother-in-law in the gun business, you may get $300.00 in trade-in credit reducing your actual purchase to $664.47.

This does'nt even factor in the hi-cap mags which will cost you used anywhere from $55.00 to $80.00 with tax included.

Anyway you cut it, you stand to lose $300.00. Take that money and buy yorself a Ruger P 95,Ruger P97, CZ-75,CZ-85 or a Makarov or find a police trade-in Sig or S&W. I saw some Ex-Police S&W 4006's for only $299.95 in great shape yesterday.

I'm not trying to mind your buiness for you but I am trying to keep you from making some of the mistakes that I have made trading Glocks and Sigs for the latest Johnnie Come Lately with no proven street performance.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

I was thinking of selling one of my pistols and buying something else, until I realized that the latest CA law says I can't sell my 14rd. mags, even with the gun. So I'm going to keep it, and buy another pistol. Talk about unintended consequences....

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

No! The Steyr M40 is TOO NEW! You'll have erratic ejection problems and brass dinging to the slide and ejection port.

I wouldn't do it! I'd wait at least a year until the M40's with the reangled ejection
ports (45 degrees) start to appear on the
market.

Steyr magazines are only available from Steyr and they're about $38 each!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BB:
Never sell your guns...you'll regret it later. [/quote]BB, you are SO right!!

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

I also have to jump on the bandwagon on this one, DO NOT sell the Beretta. Just find someway to buy the Steyr, but don't sell the Beretta to get it.

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again

I agree with the above posts. Keep the gun you know and trust. Here's an idea: Steyr will introduce an "S" series of shrunken "M" pistols at some point. They will likely be double stack 10 rounders (can anyone verify that?). When they do, trade the Glock. I have a Glock 26 and like it very much, but I have considered this.

By the way, I checked the smiley codes for a female smiley cracking a whip, but nope... :)

Even if you buy a Steyr M now, you can get the ejector port tapering fix done within two weeks. I did. And now my Steyr M40 is the best shooting pistol I've ever had.

But I would trade in your Glock so you can have two guns with manual safeties :)

By the way, the general street price of the Steyr M40 is around $550; retail is $659.

What BB said!

I just purchased an M40 for my wife. She likes it and I love it. I just put 50 rounds through it this evening. It's accurate and pleasant to shoot with great ergonomics. Still, it aint worth making that very common gun trade mistake. You will regret it later.

Heck. Buy the Steyr, say it's for her. That way you haven't increased your number of hanguns in the house, you've increased hers. Then run like h@!! cuz she's commin' fer ya.

First and foremost, keep your Brigader.

jjc2

Gentleman you are right-
I was having one of those "emotional" moments where I had an impulse to buy something that I saw and wanted. I am going to keep the Beretta, and I must say that I really like the idea of buying her the Steyr! :) Thanks to all...Mike

I need help with this one. Why doesn't Steyr do the right thing and do a recall on all those defective M40's? I for one would not be pleased if I laid out $600.00 and had to send a pistol back no matter how good the service was. We are talking the high end of the market here. We expect this with Ruger or Kel Tec but not with Steyr. That dog don't hunt. I had a similar experience with Sig two years ago and the gun was sold as soon as it was repaired. I don't know what they did during the repair process but the grips never fit right and I had to change them. Once this happens I lose all confidence in the weapon. I know it's a personal quirk but I was raised on Belgium Brownings and Older model Smith and Wesson revolvers that worked from the get/go and kept on working and still work.

Through many bad experiences, my policy is to thoroughly check the pistol out for fit and function at the gun store and then if it fails during the first trip to the range, I want my money back or a new pistol----period. There are just too many makes out there that will work right out of the box to expect anything less. Heck, a $375.00 CZ 75 will come out of the gate smoking without a bobble.

It is becoming more and more obvious that the manufacturers are rushing to market to take advantage of the latest trend instead of taking their time to produce an offering that will stand the test of time and usage.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Back