Trade Advice sought

leadcounsel

Trade Radom P64 for Rock Island 1903?

I've got the chance to trade my Polish Radom P64 for a sporterized Rock Island 1903, with a serial in the 400,000 range.

The rifle appears to have 70% blueing, and a solid stock with no issues. From the pictures, it appears to have the barrel sight cut off, and perhaps recrowned. I'm not positive.

My Radom is a standard 1970 model with 1 magazine. I have several, so it's not particularly unique to me. The pistol would be merely a range gun and doubtfully every called into duty above any of my modern handguns.

My thought is that the rifle action is excellent, and these are more historically interesting. And the receiver and action alone are probably worth the value of the P64. I think it would be at least a straight fair trade, and probably there is more value in the 1903.

I do own a few 1903s, and picked up a gem last week too. Thinking of adding this RI to my collection.

Input appreciated.

Last edited:

AFAIK, Polish Radom 64's usually trade hands in the $200-$400 range; sporterized non-low-numbered US 1903's in the $350-$450 range.

Your pistol, your money, your choice.

So I looked at the 1903 today.

It was drilled and tapped, which I know harms the value.

It is unique in that it has a two position safety (fire and safe with bolt locked) unlike any other 1903 I've seen. Every other one has had a 3 position safety.

It also had a metal plate screwed in along the left side of the receiver, almost were you'd see the Pederson device port. I've never seen that before either. I didn't see any obvious signs of any damage, but that was definitely suspect. Why would someone do that, other than to perhaps try to strengthen the receiver??

I held off on the trade, pending more research.

Last edited:
I'd hold off on that trade, with sporterized milsurps you don't know if was done by Joe Gunsmith-or Bubba.

The Springfield will never have any real value, whereas the P64 will slowly increase in value as the supply dries up, as have all other former Combloc weapons.

Last edited:
Back