Tracking him down?

LASur5r

Just a hypothetical...if you were given the assignment of tracking this Maryland sniper down...what would be some of the things you wouldn't want to do?
What could you do?

I've been wondering about acoustic triangulation. They use that here in Phoenix to pinpoint random gunfire on hollidays, and I know the Israelies have had good luck with it in finding snipers.

The 'beltway sniper' does cover a pretty big area, but it seems worth a shot. For all I know they are already doing this, just not making it public.

I might encourage citizens to carry disposable cameras in case they need to snap a picture of a fleeing perp, which might produce better leads than the human eye. I'd encourage concealed carry, too, but that's never going to happen in DC.

Stores mounting panoramic 1-frame/sec cameras that capture their entire parking lot seem like a good idea.

Finally, ballistic fingerprints for all firearms in the US. (just kidding)

Get the Army to operate surveillance aircraft with a LEO "tactical coordinator" on board over the general area to detect shots, track vehicles and coordinate LE agency actions immediately after an incident.

It's too hard to track a single individual over such a large area. The best thing to do is engage the public and try to raise their collective level of awareness. Admittedly, that's a daunting (if not impossible) task.

Acoustic sensors function inconsistently in most urban environments and we don't have low-level detection that's going to be more effective than people paying attention.

Satellite's could be retasked to scan the area (but not monitor it continuously without multiple satellites) but the time frame they would be available and the resources required for such an effort would be herculean.

Our best response and our cheapest, most consistent, resource remains community involvement and awareness on an individual level.

Back