Tower flintlock - Can anyone tell me about this gun?

Arden

Inactive
This gun was given to me by a gentleman who is in his 80's. He is British, as I believe is the gun. I don't know anything about it except what I've managed to find online.

It's marks are very faint and look like they have been worn smooth in spots. The word TOWER also looks odd. It's almost a double image...sort of like it was stamped twice.
The crown is almost invisible but I can clearly make out a letter "R" beneath it.

Any info would be appreciated. Mostly I am wondering if it is real or a repro, and if I should get it appraised. TIA

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

That is a reproduction, likely Spanish. Quality varied quite a bit with those. It would make a nice wall hanger, I would be cautious about firing it. If you do, have a competent person examine it, and only use light loads. Black powder only, 2F.

It looks like a repro. These were cheaply made in Japan and imported by the thousands in the 70's. They were sold by DGW's for I believe 49.00 They didn't spark well and I remember Dixie offering to tune them for an additional 10.00

I've got one just like it. It resides on my wall and does a most excellent job of just hanging there looking good! Mine is mounted in an old ornate picture frame on a red felt background. It was never designed to shoot except for possibly a very light load with a toilet paper wadding. The barrels were thin and the bores usually off center in these cheap copies. Many were Spanish, but some came in from Japan as well. I did shoot mine a couple of times about 50 years ago. Lots of smoke and a big boom from about 15 grains of 2FG Black Powder. I would never even contemplate firing a ball or a load of shot from the pistol. It really belongs on the wall.

I wasn't planning on firing it. ;)
For now it's going back in the drawer where it's been. I'll probably find a way to display it though, because it looks cool. :cool:

Hawg, Is right on the mark on this one and the ones i have seen, have Japan stamped on the breech end of the barrel. Might look to see if you can locate this stamp. I have one that is used strictly for training/demo purposes.

Be Safe !!!

Back