Tough Rifle Question

I remember seeing, possibly in the movie Joe Kidd, but could've been in a pic in a magazine article, many moons ago, a really nice bolt-action rifle, which also had an exposed hammer, a la the Winchester 97 Shotgun.

It wasn't as crude or fragile-looking as a Remington Keene. It looked more refined and robust, like a Mauser 98, but with a hammer?

If my spotty memory serves any additional information up, it is that it had a schnabel fore-end (which probably means nothing), and that it was probably from the 1895-1910 era.

Anyone have any idea what I'm trying to think of?

Harley,
No, that looks an awful lot like a Remington Rolling Block to me...

The rifle I'm thinking of definitely was more refined than a mid- to late- 19th Century rifle. I'd say it was at least as refined as a Krag or Springfield.

If'n I had to guess, I'd say it was a 1900-1920s design.

Hi, Harley,

I think there is an error, that pic is of a Remington rolling block, not a Remington Lee. And anyway, the R-L didn't have a hammer.

Actually, the only guns I know of (other than the Remington Keene) that might fit that description would be the Palmer, a carbine that did not make it in time for the Civil War (though it became the first bolt action actually bought for issue by the U.S.), and an odd Remington shown in Flayderman's of which only 50 were made. The bolt looks a bit like a Berdan rifle.

Jim

I happened to miss title the photo, boy! got to pay more attention. It is a Remington Rolling Block, don't know why I titled it Lee.

Now! Is this the rifle you saw?

HJN

Back