Tough Mobile Phones for Tactical Environment

Anthony

Hello Everyone,

What brand and model of mobile phone is especially known for its reliability and toughness for use in tactical environments?

It occurred to me in Modern Arnis class last night that this very useful piece of rescue equipment could get knocked out of commission in many of the ground fighting situations we've been studying. Considering how many fights end up on the ground this possibility only seems more ominous.

How have some of you dealt with this problem? Different carry methods or cases?

My Motorola Star-Tac looks like it's about to give up the ghost. It gets a lot of use and gets knocked around by the other stuff I carry on my belt (e.g., light, gun, etc.) or whatever attache or backpack I'm carrying.

Thanks for the help.

- Anthony

Tough Phone

My brother had one, I think it was a panasonic, with rubber armor around it. Kind of like a Hogue for the phone. Was about the size of a Nokia. He used to show off by throwing it down the street. Way down the street. It took the abuse until he got crazy and practically threw it into the next county. Anyhoo, just a suggestion.

My Star-Tac has been beat up over the 3.5 years I have had it. Lost it in the snow, found it underneath the wife's van.... (It was never actually "run over" though)hit pavement numerous times.... still fine. I will probably replace it with a Motorola V.60 if I decide to switch carriers soon.

Actually it may not be the PHONE so much as the case you carry it in. If the case allows the phone to come off your person and hit the ground easily.... it may not matter what type of phone. This may sound silly but I won't buy a new phone until I am satisfied that I can immediately obtain a carring case for it that will PROTECT the phone from abuse.

FWIW,
Logistar

Maybe one of those neoprene covers would protect it from drops/throws.I washed mine in the washing machine by accident 2 days ago and it was back to normal the morning after.

Back