Touched either of these yet?

Sgt.K

Seasons Greetings,

New here, post frequently at ar15 as Joe5.56. I use this handle everywhere else.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has seen a significant number of Ruger SuperRedhawks in .454 Casull or any Glock 36's?

A dealer here in Kentucky recently acquired a SuperRedhawk that was already sold (I am next on the list). That was about a month ago. Since then I've seen no others.

I have not seen a Glock 36 either. No one here seems to know when to expect shipment.

Do you have any of these available where you live? Did you recently purchase one or the other? If so, what is your impression?

Thanks to All and again Happy Holidays!!

Sgt.K

Have had one ordered and paid for since early this year. I work for a shop that is closing down (owner died) and I talked to a very large distributor the other day. He said his firm had 37 pass thru, but he did not receive his alocation. He said we might get ours very soon, maybe early Jan.
I think the Big Taurus will suffer cause with Ruger you get 6 bangs opposed to 5 and it is a much stronger firearm. Have heard of Taurus's starting to shake loose. Good luck.
By the way, I'm in Kalifornia, the Gestapo state!!!!!!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Glock's standard answers on the G36 question:

We had to fill the LE orders first, and are still behind on them.

We had a problem with the magazine manufacturing process and have suffered a delay.

There are a few others, and I will try to get them from my amigos at my favorite gun shop. A couple of them are pretty funny!

Bottom line is that they WAY underproduced this firearm, and are having an extremely difficult time filling the orders.

Are they unreliable, Jeff? That's the
rumour in TX.

I've seen at least 4 Ruger 454s at
San Antonio Gun shows for about $650 ish.

I think the finish is ugly but the price
is better than $1550 for a Freedom Arms.
Although, they are very pretty guns.

One of the local gunshops sells the Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull about as fast as they arrive. The Columbia, SC metro area should be very safe against the threat of rampaging elephants, Cape Buffalo, and Kodiac bears. ;)

With full-power loads, the recoil is definitely dramatic. Be careful that a quest for accuracy does not lead to a relaxed grip...the revolver can and will try to tag you. (I speak from embarassing experience. :o )

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited December 25, 1999).]

Glenn, the reliability problem was apparently magazine related. I do not know if it has been corrected yet or not, ask me on Jan 21, I will know something by then. Then guns will not be introduced until next year anyway, due to 'political' considerations that I can't get into, but the Glock 30 is being dropped and the G36 will ship after that takes place as a replacement.

jeff otmg is right on the money with his comments, although I think he is underestimating the number in the wharehouse. Word from the "folks" in GA. is that they way underestimated the demand for the G36 by people who love Glocks but do not like double stack pistols and this has led to some import "issues" in keeping up with the anticipated demand. So in order to avoid the "issues", they are stockpiling to reduce the anticipated initial demand.

So do G30s go up or down in price?

One rationale for the 30 was magazine
compatiblity with the 21. That's been a Glock strategy for the 17/19/26 parallelism
(and for the 40s and 357s).

So is this concept being tossed? Has anyone ever had their bacon saved by a mag from a
19 being shoved in a 26 or the like?

One would predict that the G37 would be
a 10mm and the 29 goes away?

Such speculations - my, oh, my!

I know that there are a lot of rumors floating around about the G36.. here is the real deal:

The folowers were bad. period. end of story.

I shot a prototype in Smyrna last spring and it jammed at least once per magazine. The problem was found to be the angle of the follower.

Glock has chosen (wisely, I believe) Not to ship the weapon with a known, serious, flaw. So there is no production back up, there has simply been no fulfilment of *any* orders.

One of the latest versions of the follower was used at the GSSF Glock Annual Shot last oct in Atlanta at a side event, and it was averaging one failure about every 1500-2000 rounds. Anyone who knows anything about reliability tests knows that those numbers are well above what was considered acceptable up until very recently in modern handgun history. Glock is still not shipping.

I spoke with a friend in Smyrna three weeks ago and he felt confident that the latest version in Austria is going to be the final one and the gun will be ready to ship soon. But, he was also clear that the gun would not be shipped until the gun met the standards of "Glock Perfection."

I think Glock is playing this one properly. They rolled the dice with the 34/35 in 1998, by debuting them at the SHOT show even though they were not ready to ship.. luckily they started shipping them within a few months. They tried the same thing with the 36 and lost the bet. BUT, they did not cave in to pressure to ship the gun as it was.. good for them.

------------------
-Essayons

If I'm following this thread correctly there are thousands in Smyrna but the designed is yet "perfection". Therefore the ones that are here will have to be reconboobulated before shipment. And the idea that the 30 will be discontinued is nearly earth shaking.
I'm I tracking OK??

------------------

Last I heard, there were not yet "thousands" of guns in Smyrna, but there may well be.. I really never asked, because guns without mags are worth much to me... ;)
as noted above, only the followers are a problem, so any and all guns made will be fine, but the mas will have to be taken apart and put back together with the new follower design.

I haven't heard *any* plan to stop making the G30. That will be a consumer decision really.. if people stop buying the g30 (which I doubt) then Glock may stop. The G29 will cease to exist if they stop making the G30, but if they are still cranking out the .45s, they will still make as many 10mms as the market demands...

Waiting on the G36 as is everone else. Of course, if a nice Kimber Compact with a very good price tag (that is good for me) comes along, I will forget about the G36.

Anyone have an idea on what a G36 will go for?

Johnboy

I think the Glock 17L, 20, 24, 29, and 30 will be dropped from production. I will check at SHOT next week. I am taking a laptop and will give show updates from Las Vegas.

Johnboy the suggested retail on the G36 is supposedly $670.00 When [If] they get them done the dealers will jack them up to at or above that figure. But the price should go down again soon afterward.

God I hope the G30 is still produced. I havn't been able to grab one yet and I want it in the worst way.

Back