TOTW northwest trade gun

coalminer91

Inactive
Hey y'all this is my first post on here but by far not the first time I've been here. I'm eventually going to try to build a new trade gun and might need help. I've built kits 3 so far; a traditions Kentucky rifle and pistol and a pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol. Pretty much just put a finish on them and put them together so I wanted to try a more advanced kit. Been trying to learn what I can over the internet and trying to find books over the past few moths. But help will be needed on things like fitting the breach plug drilling the touch hole and soldering under lugs and sights on. I don't know if this thread goes here or somewhere else but any and all help is appreciated.

Track of the Wolf has about everything you would need to build one. They have everything from kits to books covering the subject. I have bought from them in the past and was satisfied with the quality of their stuff. Building a trade gun from one of their kits would be a great project, but the good parts aren't cheap.

One thing about Track of the Wolf. They do have a machine shop. I know its posted on their web site just what their machine shop menu is capable of doing. And again a phone call to Track itself sometimes is all that needed when building one of their kits at home. Tip: you {might} be able to have the plugs fitting & lugs soldering done before Track's sending the kit to you. That's something to consider.:cool:

Good thread subject for your very first entry. Welcome to the site sir.:)

American Long Rifle Forum is an excellent website to visit frequently. As for books, I like the Gunsmith of Grenville the best. I have two others (Recreating the American Longrifle and The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle) which are good, but not as detailed as the Grenville book.

American Long Rifle Forum is an excellent website to visit frequently. As for books, I like the Gunsmith of Grenville the best. I have two others (Recreating the American Longrifle and The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle) which are good, but not as detailed as the Grenville book.

2 thumbs up on that info

Welcome aboard

coalminer91 Welcome aboard !!!

Well, I have learned something new today as I did not know that Track of the Wolf, offered such services. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

They do Pooho
However your probably not going to get what you think you paid for id you chose their oprtions .
Put the money into a couple books . Your pay off will be much greater and you will save yourself a lot of headache over the build .

ToW does not build guns in the white . As such your not going to get a stock that’s inlet so as that the parts fit like on the kits you have experience with. The only place I know of that offers stocks inlet to anywhere near complete is Jim Chambers . That’s just how he has them done . IE no extra charge . Jims inletting is normaly around .010 on the small side .
Trust me , you pay ToW their inletting fee and you likely to be very miffed . Same with their drilling fee..

What your looking at are parts assemblies not really kits in the since of the kits you may have worked with.
Dont get me wrong , a NW gun is a good first time build as they are pretty basic , no frills guns . Its also one of the cheapest builds one can chose . The ToW parts set is also reasonable .

The totw kits are more like just a bunch of parts and they are more advanced than the ones I done before bit I figured its time to move on to something more advanced. Trying to take small steps till I can build one from a stock blank:D been trying to find some books and read what I can on the internet. It'll be a while before I get to do it so o got some studying to do
Track will install the breach or install/solder lugs and sights on but I was going to do it for the experience. Was just wanting so feed back to see if any one has done this kit before. Thanks for the help; hopefully I'll have it in time for squirrel season;)

I did one of these a few years ago. If I remember correctly, one of the trickier parts was drilling for the tang bolt. It goes through on an angle into the trigger guard. It wasn't too bad, but took some figuring out. There is a lot of wood to remove from the stock, but jpretty easy overall.

How bout the lock plate bolts how are they; and what bout the lugs what type of solder do I need and how hard are they; thanks for the insie

Why not mortise the lugs. You might as well buy a order a mortise file, you will want one for sights.

Last edited:
The lock plate bolts aren't too bad, you just have to make sure of the location before you start. A drill press is a big help in making sure your holes are straight, even a cheapo from Harbor Freight will do. I really don't remember what I used for solder, I got it from Track when I got the kit. It did take a bit of trial and error and practice to get it right. Keeping the lug in the proper place while you solder and getting everything clean and hot enough are key. I did have one lug come loose and had to redo it later.

The totw kits are more like just a bunch of parts and they are more advanced than the ones I done before bit I figured its time to move on to something more advanced.

Out standing .
So first get those books . While there are a few on the NW guns , they are for the most part historical documentation and not building books . As such you may want to pick one up so as to help you discern the differences in makers as well as how the structure is supposed to be when compaired to the pre carve stock .
As to building book . I started building many years ago using shumways “recreating the American long rifle.. Its nothing real fancy. Just writings and drawings .
A lot of folks today suggest buying The Gunsmith of Grenville County. lots of photos an such . Im not sure I would go so far and say one is better then the other. I do think the later is easier to understand .
Neither of these books are about the NW guns or for that mater building from a pre carve . They however have everything you need to know about building from scratch . All of which relates to your project .

The reason I mention “Pre Carve” is because they present a few small obstacles one really needs to consider . IE lock to breech placement.
If the lock is already been partially inlet then the barrel is fit so that you flash hole or bolster location aligns with the lock . In turn this means the location of your Tang .This then dictates your underlug placement. Which by the way may not be where ToW has put them on . .
Normally the barrel and tang would be inlet and underlugs set . Then the lock positioned , lock mortises formed , side plate set , then triggers installed , but plate put on ………. Anyway , the books will lead you through that .

As to the underlugs and how to attach them .
I dove tail the one in the forearm . Yes you can purchase a dovetail file . Or you can just go down and by a triangle file . Then take one side and make a couple passes across a grinder so as to make that side safe
The two underlugs on the forestock which will be on the round part of the barrel , I solder those on . You don’t need a real high temp solder as long as you get a good joint. Stay brite silver solder works just fine . You can get that through ToW or at most hardware stores .

Drilling for the lock bolts isn’t that hard . There are a couple tricks to it that make things real simple . don’t forget you will need taps so you can thread the holes I once you drill the lock plate.
Same goes for the tang bolt which for the NW trade gun should run at an angle from the trigger guard up to the tang . Not from the tang down to the Trigger plate as with most rifles .. If you have a drill press , a simple point to point jig will set that up for a quick and easy drill .

Through the years I bet , realistically I have made ?? Maybe ,30 NW guns .
When people ask me what they should start with. The NW gun is what I suggest . Everything you learn on a NW gun you will use on a rifle if you decide to build one . Sure there will be more to learn . But the basics are all in the simple NW gun build

It did take a bit of trial and error and practice to get it right. Keeping the lug in the proper place while you solder and getting everything clean and hot enough are key. I did have one lug come loose and had to redo it later.

mark a center line on the bottom of your barrel . this will help you align things .
you can also make or buy a small clamp if you like that will hold the lug in position . While your soldering .
They really are not hard to make just a piece of bent wire will work.

Tinning your lugs and their corresponding locations on the barrel first creats a lot less issue

Thanks for all the help. Like I said it'll be a while before I get to do it so that gives me time to study and ask advice from more experienced people. Who knows maybe 10 or20 years from now I might be half decent

Back