Torque settings Remington 700 stock

roc1

If I replace my Synthetic stock on my 700 ADL what is the correct torque setting and what is best torque wrench to use? ex Fat wrench from Midway or others?
Thanks
roc1

IIRC, the torque should be about 40-50 inch-pounds (about 4 ft-lbs). That is basically tight but not white-knuckle tight with a screwdriver. I always used to turn the screws until firmly seated, then 1/4 turn more.

If you replace it with a wood stock, about 33-35 inch-lbs is maximum. A strong fiberglass stock can take 40-45. A pillar-bedded stock of any type can take a bit more, but I would keep it under 47 inch-pounds.

For the uninitiated: Don't confuse inch-pounds with foot-pounds!

So in the last 2 days and 2 threads about this very subject there have been the following answers...

torque the screws to 50-55 inch pounds.

the torque should be about 40-50 inch-pounds

If you replace it with a wood stock, about 33-35 inch-lbs is maximum. A strong fiberglass stock can take 40-45. A pillar-bedded stock of any type can take a bit more, but I would keep it under 47 inch-pounds.

So where do you fellas get your info, and which is correct? Or is this just one of those "everybody has an opinion" subjects?

Or is this just one of those "everybody has an opinion" subjects?
No, actual specifications are published by the manufacturer. Keep in mind that the difference between 40 and 45 inch-lbs is pretty minimal (less than 1/2 ft-lb of difference). If you want the actual torque specs, call Remington or find a service manual.

And the "IIRC" in front of my suggestion means "If I Remember Correctly".

I think 65 inch pounds is the recommended torque spec for the m24, so I figure any pillar bedded Rem700 could at least go that high.

Jimro

I just bought a fat wrench and the box said 65 inch lbs. for synthetic stocks and much less for wood unless pillar bedded. I contacted Ruger on my M77 all-weather and they said 75 inch lbs. for the synthetic stock. The wrench only goes up to 65 so that is what I used. And the screws were still tight after 15 years!!

Back