Torn between two off-duty guns...

SDforce

Hey guys, just wondering what you would pick for an off-duty carry piece if the choice was between a S&W 3913TSW or S&W CS9. I work for an agency with an extremely small approved gun list. I know you're probably gonna name off other guns but my question is ONLY about these two.

I was also thinking about the Sig 232 in .380 but would like to stick to 9mm since it's also the duty issue round. Btw, I'm about 5'8" 160lbs so I'm looking for a gun I can hide on me year round. Thanks.

I've had TWO of the 3913's...both before the current "TSW" series...both were 100% reliable. I've never fired the "CS"...but have heard/read that some reliability is lost by "chopping" the gun so radically. If it was me, I'd go with the 3913...FWIW....mikey357

SDforce:

I'm not a fan of the Sig 232, for a couple reasons. First, as you note, it's only .380 which is significantly weaker than 9mm. Second, it's quite large for a .380. The Kahr MK9 is 9mm, but smaller than the Sig 232. Third, the magazine release on the 232 is on the heel of the frame. This is significantly slower than the standard thumb button. More importantly, it is DIFFERENT than your duty gun. Trying to change magazines under stress, you might well react as you are trained and try to push the thumb button magazine release -- which doesn't exist on the Sig. Fourth, I think the 232 is blowback action, which results in more felt recoil. Fifth, I'm not a fan of DA/SA, but that's a religious issue...

If your Dept. allows Kahrs, I'd recommend that you look at the Kahr K9 or MK9. Failing that, I'd go with the 3913.

M1911

I concur with M1911, but would add the Kahr P9 to the list. It would be the lightest of the bunch, and thus the most likely to be carried.

Oh, and there's also the 3953 to consider if it is on your list. It's the DAO version of the 3913. If your duty gun is DAO or striker fired, the 3953 might be a better choice than the 3913.I haven't shot it, but I've heard good reports.

I have shot the 3913. It's reasonable, but I'm not a fan of DA/SA. If your duty gun is DA/SA, then the 3913 might be better than the 3953, just for sake of commonality.

M1911

Give the lady Smith a try. My friend has one. He is about 5'8" 160. Fits him great. I've shot on 3-4 occasions. Comfortable, smooth, never jams.

The Sig 232 is the only model I don't care for. Mostly because of the .380 option. My carry gun is a Sig 239 in 9mm. I can't say enough about it.

The 3913 is a great little gun, I've been looking for one for a while now. The LadySmith version is a fine looking pistol, complete with the dove gray grips and the tapered dust shield. I'd carry one in a heartbeat, since I'm secure enough in my manliness to tote a gun that says "LadySmith" on the slide. :)

The 3913TSW is the one.
A little small for my taste but a good gun never the less.
BTW your height would have no relevance as to what gun you would shoot well. Once I was teaching a asian guy, who had picked a G26. He though he couldn't handle anything bigger. I let him try a P226 I had in my bag and I never got it back (...he worked for a Malysian bank and had a fat cheque book, what could I say :) )

Per several other posters, the 3913 "Ladysmith" is, indeed, a nice piece...even better, IMHO, is the 3913 "NL"...for "No Logo"...NOT because I have a problem with the gun saying "Ladysmith"--I don't--I've carried both a Model 60 "LS" and a Model 642 "LS" at various times--but because I like the sleek lines of the 3913 "LS" and "NL" AND the "NL" doesn't have any superfluous engraving to detract from the lines of the piece...just my two cent's worth....mikey357

Thanks for all the responses guys. I was thinking that the CS9 would be easier to conceal but preferred the 3913 over it. The 3913 is only slightly bigger but since I'm not allowed to carried concealed yet, I wouldn't know how it feels. At first it was between the Sig 239 and the S&W 3913. The Sig 239 seemed a little heavy for everyday carry so I opted to go with the S&W (nicer trigger pull too).

Another reason I'm going with the S&W over the Sig is because my duty gun is a Beretta 92FS Inox. The controls are the same and located in the same places. Probably gonna go with a 342PD 38+p as a back up.

Thanks again for the comments. Keep em coming! :)

FYI, the approved list only allows Sig, Beretta, S&W and Ruger.

SDForce:

I agree that since your duty gun is a Beretta that you should skip that P239. I have one in .40. What I don't like is that the slide stop lever is the control which is farthest to the rear. This is different than most guns, and certainly different than your Beretta.

I do believe in the KISS principle. Based on that, I think the 3913 is a good choice.

M1911

Back