Torn between these two range backpacks....

shootingblanks

Looking to purchase one of these range backpacks:

G Outdoors Handgunner Backpack Range Bag

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/473184/g-outdoors-handgunner-backpack-range-bag

Random Video Review
http://youtu.be/u4gQmuqidhQ

This seems like a really nice bag. The only concept I do not like is the empty barrels are pointed towards your back, even if they are empty. It holds one extra pistol than the tactical one listed below.

G Outdoors Tactical Range Bag Backpack

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/556545/g-outdoors-tactical-range-bag-backpack

Random Video Review
http://youtu.be/a4ekwhsWhlo

The tactical bag holds one less pistol but appears to hold and package the pistols better. Realistically I do not need to have 4 pistols to be held in a bag, but the option is nice. I can CCW one into the range. Also the waist belt seems a bit over kill. Realistically I willnt be humping this much further from the parking lot to the gun range.

Regardless I'll have a lot of 9mm, 45ACP and 223 ammo to put in these bags with minimal of three pistols. 4th I can where CCW and unholster once I get to the lane at range.

Anyone personally own one of these? Your thoughts and input be greatly appreciated.

Follow up pics:

This bag is built very nicely and is labeled very well. Holds 3 firearms nicely and lots of ammo. Also has a rain jacket cover.

I'd go for the first one. Great number of pistols, and cheaper. Seems obvious to me. The other one is as much a fashion statement with all the webbing straps and all the other "tactical" stuff....

I assume you'd drive to the range? I assume the range has protection from the elements?

If so, then the waterproof cover is sort of redundant.

The barrel direction?

I once got an earful on here because I felt uncomfortable about a .38Spl, in a horizontal shoulder rig sweeping me as the owner turned this way and that in the queue ahead of me (it was at the range, so no OC issues). Whilst I still wouldn't try to look down the barrel of a loaded gun,the fact is that in a holster the trigger was covered and could not be actuated.

So, the 4 empty guns in a bag, again with triggers isolated from possible bits and bobs that might snag them, makes this a question of personal comfort rather than real and present danger. Only you can decide if you'll get comfortable with the idea.

I can see the convenience to a point, but TBH, I wouldn't get a range bag. I put all my stuff in a hold-all or rucksack. For me there is no point in advertising to those in the know, that I have guns in a bag on my back. Again that is a personal choice issue.

So, again, if you truly want a range bag, I'd go for the cheaper, larger one.

Last edited:
Sweet looking bag.

Honestly, I have always been a little peeved over special purpose bags. Like range bags, Bug out bags, etc... They put labels on things "this is where you put the magazines, this is where you put your pocket knife..." and charge 50% more. Some things need to be purpose built, other wise I just choose a comfortable backpacks with lots of pouches and save some money, plus it doesn't scream "bag full of firearms!"

That said, purpose built has the advantages of more perfectly fitting your needs, so to each their own!

Thanks rpseraph.

Pond, James Pond I ended up with the G Outdoors Tactical Range Bag Backpack in black color. The tan is still overdue at Midway and other places.

I wanted one bag to basically do it all. Buy once cry once.

Take it to the range, IDPA, USDPA, 3 gun etc.

It is currently loaded up with targets, cleaning patches, flashlight, bore snakes, ammo, ears and eye protection, Glock ear muffs(peltor), cleaning rod/brush, extra mags, 2 holsters, mag holder, harris bi pod, sig p220, glock 19 and g 30. My glock 19 pistol bag for this backpack also has my KKM threaded barrel. Stocked with ammo and have room to add some more when reloaded. Staple and tap area have room to put more stuff as I figure what I need, like a stove pipe rod, microfiber towels, etc.

See how the bag holds up in few weeks.

Big waste of money......find a thrift store that sells suitcases. Pick yourself out a Sampsonite suitcase with the wheels and extendable handle so you can wheel it around.....then spend the money you saved on something else.

shootingblanks, I look forward to hearing your experience after a few weeks of usage. Have been looking at getting this bag for awhile. :D

Back