Torn Between a Sig 245 or Glock 36

The Glock. For the size it is pretty easy to conceal, and the recoil is manageable. The gun is not too light for the calibre, as I said it is not too bad to shoot, but you know it is a .45. I do not have any experience with the 245, save for holding one at a gunstore. Not really impressed with it, but that is a personal matter.
The Glock now has some options for it, if you want to customize it. Heinie is making sights for the Glock, and probably the Sig 245 now also. I recommend these sights without any reservations.
The parts for the 36 can be installed by yourself, although they are now limited to trigger bars, sights, and hopefully the Pearce grip extension will be out soon.
Could not speak up for the 245, but hopefully someone will.
Shooting wise, follow up shots with the 36 can be accomplished pretty quickly and accurately, the gun seems to come back to the target quite nicely. Out to 25 yards, accuracy does not fail either. The gun is able to keep most rounds in the 5 ring in a TQ 15 target.
Complaints about the 36: I still have a magazine problem, where one is not feeding the last round, and after a quick string of fire, my middle finger is a tad sore from rubbing against the bottom of the trigger guard.

You may already know all this, but here are just few differences between the two firearms listed that are worth considering.

I was sort of in this market awhile back, looking at a sig 245, hk usp24c, and a glock 30 (36 hadn't come out yet). Ended up with the g30 for a few reasons: higher capacity, same trigger pull on first and second rounds, and I believe smallest in size, except maybe for width.

If this is a defensive pistol, the glock trigger is nice since it is the same pull each time. If you are just going to use it for target practice/plinking, the sig may be more fun since it has the single action trigger pull option.

If you plan on reloading, the sig may be the better choice since glocks seem to be more sensitive to hot loads or lead bullets. I still reload for my g30, but I make sure to use copper jacketed bullets and check that my loads do not show any signs of high pressure whatsoever.

I am not completely sold on aluminum frames such as used in the sig. It seems a polymer frame may have a longer service life. However, I have no hard facts to back this up, so you can take this notion with a grain of salt. Plus, even if the polymer frame did have a longer service life, unless you shoot a lot, and I mean a lot, its doubtful you would ever wear out a aluminum frame anyway.

As far as accuracy is concerned, this is really a non-issue in a defensive gun since both will be adequate in this regard. Plus, it is hard to say one manufacturer will be more accurate than another due to manufacturing tolerances and such. With that said however, sig seems to have a reputation for putting out accurate pistols, at least more than glock.

Both should be completely reliable with most, if not all, ammunition so that shouldn't be a concern either.

Hope this helps, I think you will probably be happy with either gun in the end, so don't worry about it too much.

I've shot both...

The P245 has a gap between the butt of the pistol and the magazine's floorplate. During recoil, that gap has a tendency to pinch and cut your hand. I was bleeding after 100 rounds fired. The longer P220 magazines are not the solution, because the floorplate is angled on that magazine. Since the P245 is unbalanced, felt recoil is pronounced.

The G36 has does not pinch. Felt recoil is less than the P245, but more than the G30. (if that makes sense)

If I had to pick between the P245 and the G36, I'd pick the Glock. The G36 is much thinner than the P245 anyway.

The P245 has a gap between the butt of the pistol and the magazine's floorplate. During recoil, that gap has a tendency to pinch and cut your hand. I was bleeding after 100 rounds fired.

Eh?

I've been bitten (HARD!) by Desert Eagles, had the web in between thumb and index finger chewed up by the standard grip safety on 1911s, and cut my fingers on some really sharp checkering, but I've never been pinched, torn, grabbed, or otherwise injured by a SIG.

And I don't know what gap you're referring to, either [looks at his 245] -- mine's got a small gap in the front (about where my pinkie curves around the front of the grip) and one on the bottom (where my palm can't reach). The backside of the grip (would be the backstrap on a 1911) curves down and under and meets up with the back of the butt plate on the magazine, but the sides of the grips completely cover the sides of the magazine butt plate.

I'm at a loss to figure out how you could have been pinched, much less drawn blood... more info please?

Since the P245 is unbalanced, felt recoil is pronounced.

Never fired the glock, but felt recoil from the 245 is less than on my 1911 compact (medium spring + ShokBuf).

I personally don't like glocks -- they don't point as naturally (for me) as a 1911 or a SIG, and I hate trigger safeties.

To cocojo:

I'd strongly recommend firing (as in, a box of live ammo) through one of each before making a final decision -- these things are mostly subjective, and if it doesn't feel good in your hand, you'll never shoot it as well as you'd like.

I had a Sig 245, and it bit me as well. Must have something to do with the shape of my hands. The gap he is talking about is where the magazine meets the bottom of the grip in the front. Trust me, it can get you. Thats one of the many reasons I sold my 245. Along with it destroying the brass, the stuff was coming out damn near folded shut, and the brass was also hitting me on top of my head about 1/4 of the time. Another problem I had with the gun, if you tried to drop a mag that isnt empty, your out of luck, when the slide cycles the top round into the chamber, it pulls the next round out so far you have to grab and yank the magazine out, it will come out, but it forced the top round to fall out of the mag, and it would fall out seperatly onto the ground.

The gap he is talking about is where the magazine meets the bottom of the grip in the front. Trust me, it can get you.

Huh... don't know how, and it's never happened to me, but I guess if you had your other hand curled underneath...

Along with it destroying the brass, the stuff was coming out damn near folded shut, and the brass was also hitting me on top of my head about 1/4 of the time. Another problem I had with the gun, if you tried to drop a mag that isnt empty, your out of luck, when the slide cycles the top round into the chamber, it pulls the next round out so far you have to grab and yank the magazine out, it will come out, but it forced the top round to fall out of the mag, and it would fall out seperatly onto the ground.

Well, maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never experienced any of that. My 245 has been absolutely reliable (doesn't bite brass, feeds all ball and JHPs -- so far [knock, knock]), and is comfortable to shoot.

Only problem I've ever had with either of my SIGs was when I tried a Mecgar mag in my 226 -- wouldn't seat correctly, wouldn't feed reliably, and didn't lock back half the time. No probs with genuine SIG mags in either the 226 or the 245.

Anybody know if SIG made a "2nd generation" 245?

How dare the Sig be hoisted to the same level as the Glock!

The Glock 36 is superior as it is in the family of the finest hanguns ever known to mankind now or in the future. The Sig is an afterthought to the CCW rage sweeping the nation. It is little more than the results of putting a hacksaw to a 220.

The Glock is a combat engineering masterpiece. Impervious to corrosion with a ten round mag capacity and unparalleled accuracy.

I am a former diehard Sig man and I have made the Glock switch.

I have a Sig P245 and Have fired over 1000 rounds with no (bleeding hands)..I shoot 100 rounds out of this gun min per week with no problems. I have owned several CCW guns
1911s, Kimber cdp's etc, and so on. For serious.. must go off ever time... useage the Sigs are hard to beat..and the P245 is a real gunfighters gun...Fast and dead on the money when point shooting...it goes bang evertime...the Glock is also a very fine gun...

I would suggest a trip both to the Glock web site and to the Sig Forum as they both have many posts regarding this topic.

This is easy! The 245 is flat out better than the G36. Like Glocks but there is just no comparison. The 245 have is marvelously accurate and handles recoil notcably better than the 36.

Personally, I would go with the Glock. Sigs are excellent guns, I have and love the 220. However, I cant stand the DA/SA transition; it messes me up on the first 2 shots, which are the most important. With the Glock, you get the same trigger pull each time.

Another note on the Glock: The Glock 30 is have all been amazingly accurate for the barrel length it have. I mean real impressive. Maybe this gun is just lucky, but I can group shots into 3 inches at 25 yards off hand pretty routinely. I have several 1911's, including a Wilson, that can do no better than that. Whether or not G30's are accurate in general I dont know, but this one is. Also, this may or may not be the case with the G36.

Sig P245 bite...

To those that doubt Sig P245 bite, keep in mind that hands come in a variety of different sizes. What may bother one shooter may not bother another.

And nobody is doubting the quality of the Sig P245 here, so no need to become defensive.

I shoot excess of 1000 rounds a week, and a handgun that bites and draws blood around 100 rounds is unacceptable to ME... thats ME not YOU.

If I were to pick a Sig, it would be the P239 in .40 auto. But until I do, I will continue to carry a Glock.

The dog bites and draws blood.
The cat bites and draws blood.
The woman bites and draws blood.
The 245 bites and draws blood.

I'm keeping all 4.

Serriously, my pinky fits over the gap between the mag and frame, and its does bite! Its not that bad and is an annoyance during long sessions at the range but otherwise the benefits outweigh the negatives for all four listed above!

This is not going to be easy.

I own 3 Glocks and 3 Sigs and find them both to be top notch in there own little ways. Ever since I have been shooting I have considered the Sis to be the most pleasurable gun to shoot. It points better for me and just feels allot better in my hand than my Glocks do.

I own a Sig P-220 (the bigger P-245) and it has become my favorite gun hands down in my arsenal. The P-220 out shoots every other gun I own as far as tight groupings at the range go. With that being said I carry either a Sig P-239 or a Glock 27 daily. The extra capacity that Glock offers is nice but I do nit chose a gun based on it, with my P-239 9mm I just stick an extra mag in the pocket.

Glocks tend to be smaller but thicker, Sigs are not too far off but they are quite a pit thinner than Glocks and for concealment thats a big plus.

Too me nothing matches the feel of a Sig in your hand but the Glocks are still great guns.

Figure out what you will be using this gun for, this should help you make your decition. Then try and shoot them, remember not everybody can adjust to the Glocks trigger so make sure you give it a try, it really is a different trigger pull, I happen to love it though

You really cant go wrong with either, it whats fits you best. Expect to spend quite a bit more for the Sig though.

Good luck,
~Jason

Back