Torn about a couple options

Doc7

Hello all,

Looking to spend some money this winter/spring and firearm forums are always the place to find encouragement there.

I have a Savage 11FCNS 7mm-08 (Accutrigger, Accustock rifle, not really sure what else this model has "Special") that I bought used before last deer season. It shoots OK with factory ammo and I haven't handloaded yet. However I have a couple of issues with it that bother me so that's why I'm not done with deer rifles yet. I am in it for less than $300 which is practically hard to even find just a receiver/action for less than that.

First off, the barrel is pitted at least a few inches from the muzzle. So right off the bat, because I don't want to cut it much less than the current 22", I know I want to replace the barrel if I keep this rifle.

My second, and bigger concern that affects how much I like or lack thereof this rifle, is that it seems to me the Accustock and bottom bolt release have this stock installation technique that just begs to be inconsistent from time to time. I am supposed to put the rifle in the stock, sit it vertical up in the air and bang it on the butt stock to "seat" the recoil lug, and then tighten a bolt with a torque driver while holding back the bolt release which is trying the whole time to butt up against the torque driver shaft and making me constantly worrying that I have accidentally unseated the recoil lug.

If it was stainless, I wouldn't be so worried about it but I frequently hunt with this blued rifle in rain and snow and bring the rifle in from the cold, so I want to be able to remove and replace the stock as frequently as a couple of times a week during hunting season to put some R.I.G. on the action and barrel. Last year, because I was so worried about having to do that and messing up the POI with the stock installation procedure, I left it in the truck in the cold and sure enough got surface rust on the trigger guard etc.

So - rebuilding this with a new stock and new barrel is really only an option if it is going to be really, really, sweet as a custom. I am not going to go crazy but was thinking a McMillan Edge and a Pac-Nor sporter barrel. This plus replacing the recoil lug would be done for the same price or close to it as my other options.

Option 2 is buy the Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. It has a 22" barrel, people say the FN models are the best ever produced under the Winchester name. People complain about the stock forend and I am not nearly experienced enough with what I like/don't like to know when I handle it in a store - I liked it just fine, I felt. I would have to cut the LOP down to make it about 12.75" but Bell&Carlson told me that isn't a problem.

Option 3 is to buy the Montana Rifle Co X2. People love their new in-house stock mold. It is an improved Model 70 action. It will come nicely bedded. I will need to cut the barrel down from 24" to 22" and shorten the LOP to 12.75". I hunt out of box blinds and in thick woods a lot and don't like longer rifles that get hung up in the stand and branches. Fun option 3B would be to buy this in 7x57 and load my own, to be a little different.

I know this is a little ridiculous with the options but it seems like Remington Actions are widely available (Relative to Model 70 and for way less money) and I don't know if I should consider a build on one of them instead altogether. I think the MRC could scratch my "own a Model 70" itch but the Remington and Savage sure wouldn't, so I might have hesitation in the future still about it.

Does the Model 70 action (latter two rifles above) have any kind of annoying stock installation procedure like I mentioned with the Savage? If all I have to do is drop it into the properly bedded inlet and tighten two screws I would be so much more satisfied and comfortable doing it without worrying about it losing POI. However will going to a custom aftermarket barrel and stock make the Savage so much better than these factory options that for the same money it would be a mistake?

Last edited:
I'd take the Savage action you have and add whatever stock and aftermarket barrel you choose. Then I'd have the action and barrel Cerakoted that will give you an accurate rifle that is weather resistant. If its Cerakoted it won't be necessary to remove the action from the stock on a weekly basis.

I'd also add an aftermarket trigger Timney or Rifle Basix.

I bought this 308 EW used 6 or 7 years ago. I hunted with it one season in the factory stock before finding a good deal on this Edge stock. This is hands down the best rifle I've ever owned and $5000 wouldn't buy it.

It puts 3 shots under 1" with every load I've tried and often well under 1". There are more accurate rifles, but this one is consistent with any bullet and load I've tried. Plenty accurate for any hunting. Mine is 308, but 7-08 is a ballistic twin. I'd use either round for any animal in the lower 48 out to 400ish yards.

In the factory stock it was just about 8 lbs scoped, in the Edge it is 7 lbs, 5 oz as shown. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

No special stock installation procedures. I did put just a bit of bedding in the recoil lug recess, but it probably wasn't needed. The Edge stocks come with pillars.

Let me know if you want to sell that rifle!

Yes the new thing on the bottom is annoying and I do much prefer the old top right side.

However, you don't have to bump and you may be tightening the wrong screw first.

You just need to put it vertical and hold it down, the bumping thing comes from internet rumors I believe. I would have to look but not a Savage recommendation. The problem is you get rebound with that method, you just want the lug tight against the bulkhead in the stock.

The critical one is the front screw not the back. That gets tightened first, then the back.

It makes it a far less annoying, still a pain and dumb move by Savage.

I have a 111 action that you have to move back the magazine bottom plate release to get to the bolt. Not quite as annoying but annoying. Still has made a great chassis for a bull 30-06.

Acu trigger can be really nice if you get th4e Varmint trigger spring for it (NSS and others have it). Take it down to 1.5 lbs if you want (or move it back up to 5 or so for hunting)

A stainless barrel does not remove the need to clean it up as the receiver still gets rusty.

It does seem like a low cost stainless rifle of any variety would pretty well cover your hunting. It does not sound like long distances with that short barrel.

Our panhandle area is about all they sell now is stainless (rain, wind, rain, wind, snow, rain, wind etc).

Back