Took my oldest boy shooting for the first time

stu925

Had my oldest son (7) out today for the first time shooting the Marlin 15YN I picked up for him. Needless to say he had a blast, I only wish I had remembered the camera. The rifle's still a bit long and heavy for him so I only had him shooting off the sand bags but he actually shot pretty well. He followed all the safety rules and actually listened to what I was telling him. I didn't really expect him to hit much, this was really more to get him used to it and see if he could listen to my instructions. Amazingly enough though he was doing pretty well towards the end. I let him shoot about 25 rounds and a good percentage (probably 60%) were on target. Range was about 10 yards and targets were a printed zombie target for fun and a 6" shoot and see target. He loved every minute of it and wants to go again before he goes back to school this fall, I had a good time and am very proud of how well he did and how well he listened. Now if I could just get him to listen that well when it's time to clean his room...

Stu

Stu- Man that's just way cool. My two oldest are grown and on their own and my youngest is only 8mos. I love to hear from parents who take the time to get their kids into shooting early and safely. Take that camera next time, you'll really appreciate it years down the road.

Great job Pops!

Dad-and-Son...

Stu 925--You're starting him on a lifetime hobby, and starting him well. A GREAT father-and-son experience.

BTW, may I suggest you keep your priorities on straight. In 100 years, it won't have mattered if his room was USMC inspectable or not. It might make all the difference in the world if he was a decent shot.

(Had the same experiences with my #1 son. We pretty much agreed that as long as there was no rotting food in his room, his own living space was his own problem--But then he had to make the bed if he wanted clean sheets. It sure was easier on both of us than constantly wrangling about room cleanliness. Eventually he discovered that it was embarrassing to bring his friends over, into a frightful mess, and that a desk piled high with junk is difficult to use for doing homework. While he doesn't actively shoot now, he IS a pretty fair shot should the occasion arise. Starting him out shooting, on In-laws' farm, was great for both of us!)

Last edited:
Awesome Job !! Stu !!

started my boy around that age also, with a semi-auto 22(also too big & heavy),
I would hand him 1 round, after he mastered safe practices and loading/shooting, I would give him two rounds ... and so on.
Fast-forward, he is now 15 and took and passed his hunter safety, he owns a Spanish mauser 7x57, a 20ga pump gun, and a 357 revolver(38 spl).
this fall will be his first big game hunts, bear, deer & elk. Can't wait !!
Keep it up !! and take care!

Back