took a couple pics of a few of my old S&W's with the "new" camera

thought you might enjoy...

This one is a S&W #1.5 chambered in 32 S&W... Lord only knows when the conversion work was done, but the barrel was shortened, & a wider "coin" front sight installed, & the barrel was re-nickeled... this was done long enough ago, that the patina matches on both the frame & barrel & appears as if in original condition... I love this gun, & even carry it sometimes... I purchased the 70's Gil Scotty grips separately, as well as some surplus nickel S&W medallions, & added them to the gun, to save the perfect original hard rubber grips

SampW32snubbie_zps3c721d55.jpg

This is a S&W #1.5 in 32 S&W, with a perfect set of S&W "red" grips, with original barrel length

SampW32redgrips_zps9a6cadb0.jpg

This one is a looong barrel S&W #2 in 38 S&W, that I added a perfect pair of original S&W MOP grips to... I'm thinking about sending this one to Ford's refinishing to get a high grade blue job, to highlight the grips...

SampW38factorypearlmedalliongrips_zpsf9bb54e3.jpg

This one is a looong barrel S&W #2 in 38 S&W, that I added a perfect pair of original S&W MOP grips to... I'm thinking about sending this one to Ford's refinishing to get a high grade blue job, to highlight the grips...

Um, please do NOT! That gun is a scarce collector's item with that barrel length. The model itself, a 38 SA 2nd model is not rare, so you can find a beater one, and send it for reblue, and then put the grips on it. From a financial stand point, ruining that gun with a reblue doesn't make any sense.

If you think a blue with pearl would be great, either sell that one (to me) or just buy a beat up 38 2nd model, but please, please don't - please don't make me cry. :(

I have a couple #2's, so I guess I could put the grips on another one... just figured the gun in "good" condition probably wasn't worth that much ( I think I was the only bidder, when I bought it on Gun Broker ) & I've seen some guns from Ford's & they look better than new when they get done with them...

I understand the "rare" value, & if the gun were in better shape, I could see leaving it alone, if IMO, if I had it nicely refinished, I think the gun would be worth slightly more, maybe 1/2 the cost of the refinish, which to me, ( a non S&W "purist" ) would be acceptable...

I guess if everyone feels that way, I'll put the rubber grips back on it, & put my MOP's on another gun...

Something just intrigues me about those old spur trigger S&Ws. Totally useless in my shooting program, except probably great fun to shoot at plinking ranges.

I had sort of always hoped for a modern replica. And that snub nose just looks awfully nice.

Bob Wright

Of the three S&W top-break, single-action .38s yours, the 2nd Model, is the least valuable, although the long barrel does add a bit. The 1st Model, also known as the "Baby Russian," is more valuable and the 3rd Model, also known at the "Model of 1891" is much more valuable. The latter has a full, round trigger guard and is a super looking revolver. I would never touch a 3rd Model, and probably would not touch a 2nd Model, but they made over 108,000 of them, so if you decided to refinish one that had worn finish to begin with it would not be a hanging offense. They are among the least costly of collectible Smiths.

Thanks BOB... I like them all... though... these are some of the "fancier" ones...

I do shoot a #2 snubbie in 38 S&W a lot... it functions perfectly, but is seriously ugly... ( in fact I shot it when I re-newed my CCW license for range qualification )

there are pics out there of the gun... my original thought on that one was re-nickeling for occasional carry use / durability... it also currently wears a set of early J frame grips right now to save the original hard rubber... if it would really be a crime to blue the long barrel gun, maybe I should blue the #2 snubbie, & put those MOP grips on that gun, & keep it for a BBQ gun ????

SHOOTIE... I guess I don't think I own a "baby Russian" as my understanding, they had a partial underlug for the "Russian" type extractor, my #1.5's & #2's both have the more traditional cam type extractor

Last edited:
this one isn't in as nice a shape... but it does function... if I dared...

maybe I'll have to whack the bullet in 1/2 on those Navy Arms cartridges

SampW1bottombreak32rimfire_zps2cbbdbd6.jpg

Back