Too much?

ATN082268

This past Saturday I put 150 rounds of 240 Grain .44 Magnum loads through my Ruger Super Redhawk in the span of about an hour. Do you think that was too quick and caused any damage to it?

You've got one of the toughest revolvers ever made.

I got an SBH in 1974. I shot 250 rounds in one session (one day per month). For 7 years. Some months were more. Never less.

I still shoot it on occasion to this day. It still shoots as good as it did on day one.

I have a super Redhawk (454) but I don't shoot it near that much, but sometimes 200 rounds per outing. Still as strong as it was day one.

I certainly would not think so.

How hot did the gun get?

Did it start misbehaving? Like getting stiff to open the cylinder or eject rounds or trigger problems? Did it seem like accuracy was deteriorating?

As the previous poster said the Ruger Super Redhawk is one of the stronger guns out there and again I don't think that would do it any damage.

What DaleA said. ^

Unless you experienced some type of issue when shooting it, there is zero reason to believe that you damaged that gun in any way, shape or form.

Yes, it's damaged. You should send it to me now for proper disposal. NOT. I have tried to damage my Redhawk for going on 40 years. Hasn't happened yet.
attachment.php

:) I have the same gun.

The most I shot it was 2 hunters silhouette matches in one night. 80 rounds of full power 44 mag. I was wiped out.

Enjoy the gun.

David

Yes, 44 Magnums are so powerful they should be shot only one time, then a 15 minute break before another round is fired. This lets the molecular structure of the steel settle before being disturbed by such great force again.

I know, I'm about a week early, but I couldn't help myself!;):D

I've shot my share of .44 Magnum in various guns. IMHO, No damage at all to the gun. Any potential damage would likely be to your wrist;)

You're more likely to suffer than the gun.
+1 Agree. Next question did you actually hit anything or just bangity bang bang for the noise :) .

I've loaded my .44Mag cartridges (with 240g SWCs) down to around 1100fps for a 'pleasant' time of shooting. Not that fast though. Takes time to change targets, reset targets, measure groups, etc...

I shoot my Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks in twenty five round stages. I find if I shoot more than this my guns become uncomfortably hot to load/eject cartridges. I have never timed a stretch, but it is slow, aimed firing, fire five shots, eject and reload. So I shoot twenty five rounds then swap out guns and let the one cool down.

Shooting about forty rounds and my guns are simply too hot to handle. But never has had any ill effect on my guns.

Bob Wright

Back