too many questions....

ditty

Inactive
First of all id like to thank all the members of TFL for all the info and advice ive picked up in the last week since joining. A cable modem and this site have been depriving me of all sleep lately so please excuse any extremely retarded questions.

ok...

Ive had a glock 23 for about the last year(my first gun) and yesterday i picked up my new kimber custom stainless II. Wow. I dont know a thing about 1911's so these questions will be pretty basic.

a. after cleaning the weapon, where do i apply oil?

b. does dry firing the kimber effect it at all?

c. i heard that if you manually let the hammer down it would eventually mess something up.

d. what do you guys use to clean all the little nooks and junk?

e. are you supposed to put oil in the barrel?

f. whats +p ammo?

g. and if anyone lives in southern california, where can i go to just shoot off some rounds? A place where i can do some camping and shooting and stuff.

Alright, i guess thats all i have for now, but thats only after one day of having my new gun. Any answers to any of these questions or anywhere i could go to find out any of these answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ditty

a. apply grease to the rails, oil on the locking lugs on top of the barrel, oil at the end of the barrel where it mates with the bushing

recommend you purchase Wilson's basic 1911 manual for detail stripping, cleaning, and lubing instructions http://www.wilsoncombat.com

b. dry fire away

c. there really is no reason to let the hammer down manually, NEVER LOWER THE HAMMER OF A 1911 ON A LIVE ROUND, if you have ensured the chamber to be empty - dry fire to lower the hammer, it is possible that excessively lowering the hammer manually without fully pressing the trigger rearward will hurt sear/hammer engagement

another practice to avoid is letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber, this also hurts sear/hammer engagement

d. q-tips, toothbrushes, a screwdriver wrapped with a cleaning patch

e. a light coating of oil is a good thing, buy a Boresnake, they rule!

f. ammo loaded to burn at a higher pressure than normal, more velocity but also harder on the gun

g. thankfully, I do not live in Kalifornia, no offense

try http://www.1911forum.com for a wealth of 1911 information, they even have a specific forum for Kimbers

Congratulations on your Kimber. They are great guns, and the 1911 style can't be beat.

When I clean my colt I just leave a bit of residue lube on the areas that are metal to metal. To be honest I don't make a huge effort to lube everything up, if I don't lube I don't get all bent out of shape

I have heard many people (armchair gunsmiths) say "don't ever dry fire your gun!" I say baloney!. I have asked several manufacturers (including a colt rep) and they all say that doesn't make a bit of difference. In fact the colt manual says to dry fire after taking the pistol apart and putting it back together to ensure everything is together correctly.

I don't believe manually dropping the hammer hurts the pistol either.

Hoppes #9! Q-tips work pretty good for getting down in some tight spots.

Nothing other than some rust preventive (if you want). I don't do this, but then I shoot mine (and of course clean it) fairly often.

+P is "plus pressure"

Can't help you about California. I live in the great state of Texas! If your ever this way your welcome to join me on a trip to the range.

Back