too many Mossberg models

SteveSatch

Looking for riot gun and Mossberg has way too many numbers. I see 500, 590, 590A1, 590 USA, and in that I see some that say 6 shot, 8 shot, 9 shot, the Persuader is called both a 500 and 590. Can someone explain? I'd like one with 8 in the tube and a metal safety and trigger guard.
Thanks,
Satch

Greetings,

For my first shotgun, I picked the M590A1. It is the "military" model. 20" barrel. Metal triggerguard and safety. Parkerized finish. Eight in the mag +1. Bayonet lug :eek:. Predrilled for sling and sights. Heavy, though.

I like it. :D

Ledbetter

The '8 shot' model is a 20" barrel with a 7 round magazine (2 3/4" only) and one in the chamber. Whatever you do, DON'T get a PISTOL GRIP model. As for the model names and numbers, don't get caught up in that. The 590's have more bells and whistles but if you aren't in Law Enforcement, you probably won't miss them. Get any standard model and I think you will be happy.

The Mossberg Model numbers are as follows:
9 shot, Metal trigger guard/Safety, Ghost Ring, Parkerized: 51663
9 shot, Metal trigger guard/Safety, Bead sight, Parkerized: 51660
8 shot, bead sight, Blued: 50577

The difference is about $100 if you can handle the blued version. Try the Mossberg site at:
www.mossberg.com

As for the metal safeties and trigger guards, why are you buying a Mossberg if you want that crap? Just get a Remington. Mossberg had to add those to their shotgun to meet specifications put forth by the Military. The Model you want is the one Led mentioned above then. It's the '9 shot' version. Get the one without the speedfeed stock but with the Ghost Ring sights. And yes it is heavy, but that might make it a bit more pleasant to shoot.

I prefer Ithaca's but the long magazine ones are difficult to come by.

[This message has been edited by badgerarms (edited August 06, 2000).]

It's really not that confusing. E-mail the service dept. at Mossberg and they will mail you a free product catalog that explains everything.

"As for the metal safeties and trigger guards, why are you buying a Mossberg if you want that crap? Just get a Remington."

Hasn't Remington went plastic too?

The problem is there's tons of Mossbergs listed for sale and no one lists the actual SKU number. They just say 500 or 590. As to why buy Mossberg, I don't know that I am going to. I don't like that Remington does not come with high cap mag already. I do own two 870s though. Was thinking of buying a bang around shotgun with synth stock

Back