Tombstones

Guy B. Meredith

Posted this on another board, but seems they never get out to the range--just sit around looking at their guns and debating theories. Just kidding. Maybe I can find some sympathy/advice here...

"How can Bianchi Cup/NRA Action Pistol and ICORE/S&W International Revolver Championship matches be so difficult?" I sez to myself "They use these tombstone targets with an 8" (!) sweet spot, for crying out loud!" True, the 4" X-ring is actually the deciding count at these levels, but still...

Well I got a bunch of tombstone/NRA D-1/Bianchi targets to get accustomed to them and do the classification shooting in preparation for taking part in the S&W IRC in June. Can't see the d**ned scoring circles at 15 yds (not supposed to be able to) and end up with an 8" cluster at 9:00 at 25 yds., lapping over the X-ring and two other rings.

Grrrrr! I do much better than that on IPSC silhouettes, so what gives?

This is going to require (be a good excuse for) some serious range time and assistance from more experienced tombstone shooters. Got to make that entry fee worth while!

[This message has been edited by Guy B. Meredith (edited January 29, 2000).]

I guess it's a mental problem -
Now - dont get bent outta shape, hear me:

You sound like a defensive shooter - your used to the idea of the human shadow shaped target... You got a mental sight picture on that. Your mind can hit it each time.
The Tombstone shaped targets... Well - your mind is thinking "They are already dead - whats the point?" - so that blows your mental sight picture.

How to overcome that?
Watch NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3 times and then practice on the Tombstone shaped targets instead of the silhouettes.

If you cant watch the movie - no problem... but you do got to train your eyes on the new sight picture.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Guy, I had the same problem when I started shooting IDPA instead of IPSC. The 5-ring is an 8" circle instead of 6" by 11" of the IPSC target. Accuracy is more important in some shooting sports than others. I found that it came down to the basics, sight picture, trigger control. Of course you don't want to discount George's theory either. Maybe you could use ghosts for no-shoots or something. Boggles the mind doesn't it? ;) Bill

Back