Tombstone grips

I had a set.
They are ok, not great but ok.
I sent the tracing of my grips for a perfect match & they still needed some hand fitting when they arrived.

I had two sets of aged ivory from them - one for an old Colt Army Special and one for a vintage Ruger Super Bearcat. I also felt that they were "O.K.". The did require some fitting to the frame - the hole for the grip locating pin in the grip frame needs to be drilled - not a biggie. Tap it out, fit the grip to the frame and then mark and drill the hole - then repeat for the other panel. Enough material was left for the fitting and even on the thickness to shape to desired dimensions. After the fitting, etc. I "gently" buffed and polished with a cloth wheel and some red rouge. Caution though - go very lightly on the buffing as this is a polymer and you can "eat" it up, even with mild grit of rouge. I was satisfied with the results.

Just remember . . . "not all frames ar created equal". You can get grip panels from other suppliers that are marketed as "ready to install". They will usually be fine but some brands may fit better than others. There are a few grip makers out there who make the "faux ivory" type of grips - shop around and then decide what works best for you. Personally, I'd have no problems with getting grips again from Tombstone. I took my time on the fitting and found the experience relaxing. :)

Back