Tom Threepersons, a wedding, and Christmas

rodfac

Been a busy season here. As our family has always made Christmas and wedding presents for friends and family, I built the two holsters below, following the old Tom Threepersons design, albeit with an open muzzle. Both are lined in vegetable tanned pig skin and sit high on the belt line. Tight fitted, neither needs a security strap nor thong. Both are hand-stitched and dyed as well.

The guns are a favored Sig RCS (an Officer's model length bbl. and grip), and my daily carry companion, a Smith M60 with a 3" tube. Both conceal well under a shirt tail or jacket flap. And the minimal leather used keeps excess weight to a minimum. You just hardly know they're on your belt.

A favored nephew wears the auto one with his Ruger CMD in .45 ACP (wore it, infact, during the outdoor wedding ceremony near Big Sky, Montana several weeks ago). The M60 is a soon to be delivered gift to #2 son at his farm here in KY.

I've built similar holsters over the years, but this pair turned out a bit better than most.

Best Regards, and a Happy New Year, Rod

Very nice holsters, indeed.
I've made a few, but they sure didn't turn out as impressive as yours.
They worked fine, but nothing I'd want show in public.
Thanks for sharing.
P.S.
If you had made one for the groom, you might have been invited to the wedding. :)

If you had made one for the groom, you might have been invited to the wedding.

LOL, I did indeed plus the gunbelt (1-1/2"), that went with it with matching stamp work...It was 23 degrees during the ceremony...the bridesmaids in low cut gowns were a real show if you get my drift!

Rod

Both are lined in vegetable tanned pig skin

Disclaimer: I have a well known hatred of holsters...I think they are incredibly frustrating things.

That said, maybe you could answer a question for me. Years and years ago friend got a cheap all leather (no lining) holster and after one week in the holster there was rust on the revolver. This revolver had lived for months in a nylon holster with no problem.

It seems some leather holsters do NOT need to be lined but what processing of the leather allows you to get away with this? Or should ALL leather holsters be lined?

As you can tell I know little about leather or holsters.

g.willikers,
Couldn't you have stayed in KY and watched the doings on skype or something?
Yep, but I'd've missed the bridesmaids show!!!! Groom is a good guy, son of a Border Patrol Sector chief, both good people, the 1800 mile trip was no problem for people like that. Rod

DaleA, Vegetable tanned hides are not as conducive to rusting as are those that are chrome tanned...that said, the lining has no bearing on whether the gun will rust or not, as both the heavy leather and the thinner are tanned the same way.

To my knowledge, no blued handgun (or SS for that matter) should ever be left in a leather holster when it's not in use on the belt. This is especially important for a holster that's been out in the rain or heavy humidity. As soon as I get back inside following a sojourn in the rain, I immediately dry the gun off, blued or stainless, it gets dried off then wiped down with an oily rag. (Even SS will rust under certain circumstances) HTH's Rod

Aquila, yep they're hand stitched. I groove the leather, then run a spur spacer down the groove to get the spacing. The holes for the two needle method are punched with a slightly larger needle using a hand drill or drill press for ease of penetration. While I prefer the awl and two needles method, the leather along the welt line is just too thick to allow the awl to penetrate without making the hole too big.

Here's a pr. of pics of the tools involved. The slotted tool is a beveler to ta da, bevel the edges for burnishing. BTW, a cobbler's sewing machine is couple grand investment, and hand stitching them is only a cpl hour job.
HTH's Rod
Shootniron: Sorry, ya gotta marry into the family to get one....but thx for the implied compliment. Youngest grand-daughter is 11 now and even for KY, that's too young...yer outta luck, padnuh.

BTW, Tandy Leather shops can help you with the tools, leather etc and give first rate instruction on how to do it...truly great people to deal with. I've used them for 30+ years of tack, belt and holster making. R

Last edited:
Beautiful work. I have always wished to try this. With retirement looming I may look into it. Not sure I could ever match your talent.

Only gun I remember at my wedding was my wife's dads shotgun :D

Only gun I remember at my wedding was my wife's dads shotgun
Gottcha...LOL

Really, guys, it's not that hard to do..Tandy can get you on the right path...buy enough leather and the tools to do three holsters (3). It's going to set you back $70-80 or so...still cheaper than buying from one of the really good leather holster companies.

The first one you make will be entirely useful...just not a treat to the eyes. The 2nd will be good enough to give to one of your family members and you'll show it off to other shooters; plus it'll be built to satisfy your ideas. The 3rd will be good enough to show off in pics on any forum. Over the years I've built a cpl dozend holsters...all were useful, some prettier than others, but with patience, most anybody can work from a pic in a magazine and make their own. Rod

Rod, every holster I've seen that you made I liked, these two are nice.
Now where in the heck is the pictures of the bridesmaids?:rolleyes:

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Back