Tokarev

Melkiper

So my carpool friend was late picking me up from work today soooooo I ordered a Tokarev to pass the time. Ordered it form SOG, I got the Romanian one that comes with 2 mags. I selected the handpick option for 10 dollars more and the total damage including shipping was $248. Not a bad morning. Picks will be incoming

I have a couple TT's and I love them.
If your friends shoot them they will want one too.
Surplus ammo can be hit and miss.
Star line brass offers brass but out of stock right now.
When Star Line gets more brass I see a few thousand rounds headed for the loading bench.

Ya, luckily my LGS has a very steady supply of 7.62x25 ammo for there class III firearms. They sell 50 for 16.95 so all in all not too bad

Good trade Gandog. Although the CZ52 has it's appeal. When I run out of surp tok ammo, I'll have to do the 9mm conversion.

This is a bit puzzling. I have heard repeatedly that the VZ-52 was made for some kind of super hot 7.62x25 ammo that had a velocity approaching Mach 6, and would penetrate mountains, with enough power left to wipe out Tora Bora.

This ammo would blow a Tokarev or a Mauser C96 into small pieces and wipe out whole counties.

So, then how come regular Russian Tokarev ammo even functions a VZ-52? If it was made for such hot ammo, standard Russian stuff shouldn't even budge the slide.

Now, I have a VZ-52, and some Czech ammo, and it doesn't seem any hotter than Russian ammo and it works the 52 OK, and the Czech stuff works the Tokarev OK and (so far) it hasn't blown up either a Russian or a Chinese Tok. Surely there must be an explanation, unless, of course, that Czech ammo is super hot because it contains a lot of hot air from the importers.

Jim

Yeah, I picked one up 3 or 4 years ago when numrich had TU-90 barrels in stock. I had to pick up a different bushing, and a link/pin as well to make it work. All together it only cost me about $60 back then. Everyone told me I was crazy because, why would I want to shoot 9mm when surplus tok ammo was as cheap as 22lr? Well, because milsurp ammo dries up!

I picked one up 3 or 4 years ago when numrich had TU-90 barrels in stock.
You win. If I had been smarter...
Just out of curiousity, what is the capacity of a ttc magazine when loaded with 9mm Luger?

^^^ Exactly the same. I even found that they will feed properly without modifying the magazines (in mine anyway, ymmv). The 9mm didn't eject nearly as far as the surplus 7.62x25 though, but didn't cause any failures. I picked up an extra recoil spring assembly just in case I ever feel the need to play with the recoil a bit.

The Germans converted a whole lot of Tokarevs to 9mm P. by just changing the barrels, without changing the magazine, and had no problems that I heard of. I used to have a 9mm Tokarev that had been converted and it worked fine with the original magazines.

Jim

We can still get the 7.62x25 up here in Canada but I will gets some dies. I think you can get a kit to convert 223 to 7.62x25 but reaming the case might be tricky. I hav 30-40 30 mauser I will reload with some hornady 85 grain xtp's.

I've made a hundred or so cases from .223 cases. I cut them down with tubing cutter. Size them in the 7.62x25 die. Then I have a reamer bit for my drill press to thin the neck a bit. It's worked well, the cases have survived a couple of reloads so far. But I did score a new 9mm barrel from a member over on the CMP forum. He was cleaning out his smithing box and didn't know why he had it. Brand new never used, functions great on my Romanian TT-33. Not other mods needed to run 9mm.

Back