Tokarev TT33 Pistol

loknload

Just recieved my new SOG paper in the mail today. They have recieved a shipment of these Polish made pistols in excellent/like new condition. Any thoughts on these?
May consider the purchase of one for the collection ;)

Depending on the manufacture date, check the barrel. Many Tokerevs I saw had badly pitted barrels. Many believe the Tokerev borrowed the design features of the 1911 and Model 1903 Brownings. The barrel and slide are temporarily locked together for a fraction of an inch during rearward travel. This allows the bullet to exit the barrel and reduce pressure before the brass is ejected.

The pistol is very easy to strip down. It bears a close resemblance to the 1903 Colt .380 pocket pistol and can be disassembled similarly to a 1911. It's a single action pistol with the recoil being a copy of the Browning design.

It's a nifty little gun that has done a price jump in recent years. Ammo is readily available and if you reload, you can buy brass from Starline.

I hope this helps some.

Take care
Son

Tokarev

Son thanks for the info. the manufacture dates are suppose to be 1952-1956. They are suppose to have been cased in storage for 50 years.

Very neat little handguns. I've always found them to be both fascinating and very innovative.

For instance, they improved on the Browning manufacturing design in that they lathe turned the locking lugs around the circumference of the barrel. This negated the need for milling the barrel to cut the locking lugs, and greatly speeded production.

The lock mechanism is a removable unit, making it very easy to service.

And, perhaps most innovative, the cartridge feed lips are not part of the magazine, as is normal for virtually every other handgun made, they are part of the lock unit!

By transferring the feed lips to a separate, and much sturdier, unit, magazine-related failures are virtually eliminated.

Why this particular feature has never been copied by other manufacturers is totally beyond me.

What kills me is that the importer has to add a manual safety so the guns score enough "points" with ATF to be imported.

While I hear that the job has been done nicely in this bunch of Polish imports that SOG has (in contrast to some really crappy safetey jobs on earlier imports), it bothers me somewhat that the gun has been altered. Not a big difference from a shooter perspective, but less desirable as a collectable.

The caliber is 7.62 Pistol, also called the 7.62x25, 7.63x25, 7.63 Mauser, or .30 Mauser. Some folks claim to see or know of differences between the .30 Mauser or 7.63 Mauser and the Russian 7.62x25 Tokarev, but there really aren't any. It is a hot round, with nominal velocity of 1495 fps with an 85 grain bullet. It is also used in the Mauser C96 "broomhandle" and in the Czech Model 52 roller locked pistol, as well as in many SMGs used by the former USSR and its allies. The Polish version of the TT-33 has not been seen here much, but it has a reputation as the best made of the lot, not being produced under wartime pressure as many Russian ones were. Many captured Soviet pistols were rebored and rechambered by the Germans for the 9mm Parabellum.

Jim

The best TT33's are mid to late 30s Sovet production.
You can easily determine the date of manufacturing since all Soviet weapons have the year of maufacture stamped.
I have Tok made in 1948, and while the finish and fit is much better then on the units made during GPW, it is not as good as pre-war examples.
I have seen Polish made TT and it looked pretty good.
One thing you should be aware of is that ALL of them are arsenal refinished, so don't look for completely original condtion.

As I understand it, you do NOT want to shoot 7.62 Tokarev in a Boomhandle Mauser. The Tok round was originally designed for SMG's, and is loaded hotter than the German Mauser round. If you shoot the Tok stuff in a Mauser, and possibly in a TT-33 you run the risk of going KB!.

Of course, I'm no expert, so do your own research, and make your own conclusions.

Caliban,

The 7.62 Tokarev round used by the Soviets in their pistol was, to the best of my knowledge, identical to the round used in the submachine guns.

The Tokarev round is also virtually identical ballistically to the 7.63 Mauser round on which it was patterned.

The Czechoslovakians, when they introduced the CZ52, significantly boosted the performance of the round.

It is this iteration it is unsafe for use in Broomhandles, and may well be so in TTs.

Tokarev TT33

Thanks guys for all the good info. Sog in Ohio has these for
$189. with two matching mags. They are suppose to be right out of storage and not refinished. These are suppose to be 50's production pistols. I just may go ahead and order one, Now that I know the rest of the story ;)

Back