Tokarev question

Nightcrawler

Can anybody tell me the ballistics of 7.62x25mm Tokarev? 7.62mm is rather small-bore for a pistol cartridge, yet 25mm is very long for a pistol cartidge case. (9mmP is 19mm, .45ACP is just over 20mm) It would seem that this cartridge could be loaded to very high velocities. What kinds of factory ammo can you get for it? What kind of muzzle velocities and muzzle energies can you get with various ammunition? What pistols can you find chambered in this cartidge?

Depending on the ammo you buy, you can get velocities of around 1450 fps. right out of the box. I also understand that 1900 fps is not unheard of.
You can find more info at the following url:

http://w3.one.net/~melchar/tokarev/index.html

Makarov.com has good info on this round as well, just check under the section for the CZ 52

Right now the only pistol readily available is the Czech CZ-52. Sellor&Bellot makes this caliber with non-corrosive primers. The guns and ammo are usually seen at gun shows,JG sales in Arizona wholesales them.

I have chronographed my CZ with surplus Chinese ammo and got close to 1600fps with a 85gr bullet.

Russian Toks were imported(with BATF mandatory safeties added)about 5 years ago but thanks to our beloved President that source has dried up.

Essentially, this cartridge and the guns chambered for it are interesting historical relics of WW2 and the Cold War. None have been manufactured since 1954.

Winchester has just intoduced a 7.62mm cartridge. Its ballistics are said to be a 85grain FMJ bullet at 1,647 fps.

1300-1500 sounds about right depending on the ammo. I haven't chronographed anything but milsurp feels hotter to me than S&B, although I tend to shoot it because of the non corrosive primers. I've also heard that Winchester is planning on making it, I'll be intersted in seeing how my CZ52 likes it.

Just to throw in a little info. A Tokerov is not the same thing as a CZ 52. The CZ 52 was made to take a SERIOUS amount of pressure. Much of the surplus 7.62 X 25 ammo out there is loaded to subgun pressures and can ONLY be shot out of a CZ 52, not a Tokarov! And most of this surplus ammo also has corrosive primers. Many/most people with Tokarovs shoot the S&B ammo, it's loaded to lower pressures.

Twin Sigs,
There is a shipment of Polish Tokerovs that just came into this country. They are in unissued condition and are VERY nice guns. SUPPOSEDLY, there is another shipment of these guns due sometime soon - but this could just be an internet rumor.

Hardball, do you know anyone that actaully has the Winchester ammo? The internet ammo sites I''ve tried all say, "Not yet." I can't find anything on the winchester site.

Evil Twin

Has anyone actually bought and/or fired the Winchester ammo. I see it on their web page. Where did you buy it. The ballistics look impressive.

Unfortunately the new Winchester stuff only comes in FMJ ... I just ordered a few boxes of Hornady 90 gr XTP's for my CZ-52 ... I'll drop them on top of some AA#9 which should get around 1780 fps (630 ft-lbs!!!) with the max load. I have actually found that the 95% loads are more accurate, though, so I should be looking at 1700 fps with 580 ft-lbs of energy!

Back