Cast maybe 40 pounds of these today.

44 & 45
DSC04547.jpg

45-265-K
DSC04548.jpg

44-250-K
DSC04551.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

Nice ones! I'd sure like to run through about 40# this weekend too. It's supposed to be 78-80 degrees here both Sat and Sunday, so I'm hoping to get lots of time in the yard, watching those silver beauties stack up on the casting table.:D 'Gotta do a gallon or so of .44 balls too, for the 1860.

LAH,

those are some bute's for sure. One of these days I'm hoping to have enough experience to get my sprue's to look like those you have. Right now I could get that way unless I used a soldering iron and just melted it as I went.:D

I'm lucky if I can keep them round and on top of the hole I'm pouring in. LOL

I still get good bullets though and I guess that is the important thing right.....

Beagle333: It's not been 80 here since August for sure or perhaps an odd day in September. Be sure to show some pictures of the round balls.

Mike it's easier to make nice sprues with the Ballisti-Cast sprue plate {left two} because of the design. And the main thing is you have enough sprue so the cavity can draw from it when it contracts while cooling the first second or so.

CS86: The handles on the left are RCBS. The handles on the right are Lyman.

Ballisti-Cast sprue plate:
DSC02694.jpg

I cast that same bullet design in .358 for my 357 Ruger BlackHawk and Henry Big Boy. It's a Lyman steel mold, its heavy but works great. The bullets weigh in at 150 grains.

They are the most accurate bullets I've ever used.

8 lbs of .454 balls

Be sure to show some pictures of the round balls.
They ain't too impressive to look at.... just plain ol' round balls, but here's a quart ziplock of the 1st 8 lbs of .454 balls out of the smaller pot. :)

They come out .4525..... 'seems pure lead shrinks just a bit. They still cut a ring when loaded into the 1860 though, so it's even better that they aren't .454....... less waste.;)

I plan on firing up the big pot in the morning at daylight and dropping some .357 lead, if the molds cooperate.:cool:

Attachments

• 454 balls.JPG
    454 balls.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 27
Back