Tobin Arms Mfg. SXS Shotgun 1903-1904 ?

snoopster

Hello,
I was wondering if you could help me out with an identification.
I came across this shotgun and would like to find out more about it.
I have found all the general info. about the company and it's history.
I would like to find out more on this particular model.
It is a low serial # 3XXX and seems to be in decent shape.
It is not a fancy model as it is without much engraving.
I am wondering anyone would know of the model and it's approximate value for ins. purposes or if I decide to sell or trade it.
I am not a shotgun collector and am more into rifles and pistols.
There seems to be a repair on the forearm and the buttplate is not original.
The serial #s match on the action and the barrels but there is a different # on the forearm.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Attachments

• DSC01331.JPG
    DSC01331.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 248
Boy, you couldn't have picked one much more obscure. As you probably already know, there's bupkis on the intarw3bz about them, the Blue Book is silent, and there's only a small blurb in the Standard Catalog of Firearms, which is pretty vague on values. ($200-$1000, depending on model and condition.)

All of my more detailed reference stuff is pretty specific to S&W revolvers or military rifles. Sorry! :(

My standard catalog of arms is over 10 years old, but under firearms trade names there is a reference.

Tobin Simplex

Trade name used on shotguns of unknown manufacture that were retailed by the G.B. Crandall Company, Limited of Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

Thats all I have good luck Tom F.

THE DOUBLE GUN JOURNAL ran two articles on the Tobin, many years ago, in Spring 1994 issue (Vol.5, Issue 1) & the Spring 1997 issue (Vol.8, Issue 1) - and the magazine has a classified section.

The author's name was David J. Noreen.

If it were my gun, I would contact them, and place the F/S ad there also.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/doublegunjournal.htm

There were several model names/numbers/grades, different for both the Norwich, CT and the Woodstock, Ontario guns.

The Norwich guns were the Standard #20, Expert #30, Featherweight #40, Premium #45, Trap #21, Special Pigeon #50, Model #55, and Model #60.

The Canadian guns were the Leader #25 hammer gun, Standard #40, Black Diamond #55, Trap #70, Pigeon #100, Model #200, and the Regal #250.

Back