To write or not to write

cornered rat

As usual, <a href="http://www.infomagic.com/liberty/vs980915.htm">Vin's</a> take on this issue is thought-provoking. Comments, ideas, or shall we just keep quiet and do what we have been doing (in which case, I have no need to know)

I'm a firm believer in expressing my opions to various legislators. However, I never write letters, I make phone calls. With a letter, some office flunky can read the first paragraph, figure out where the letter is headed and skip the rest or just throw it out. Sometimes important points are never heard.
When you have a living breathing person on the other end of the phone, you've got a captive audience until YOU are ready to hang up. Points can be made, questions answered and feelings expressed better than in a letter.
Also, legislators keep phone logs, so your name and address become part of the record. As well as the subject matter.
As long as you keep your cool and don't start screaming or making threats, your message will get through.

I second Grayfox...I call, and then follow up with a letter.

However, I always make it a point to get the person on the other end of the phone to state their name at least twice during the conversation, and I make sure I always call them by that name at least once....rationale: they know I am serious( or a serious crackpot ;))....they work for us, so never ever be demure with them or they will shag you off.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Different person, similar comments. <a href="http://airnet.net/craig/g4c/wolfe.htm" target="_new">Claire Wolfe</a> is only slightly more afraid than I am, probably because she's more up to date.

Hmm- <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>3.Confiscation of assets from any American who establishes foreign citizenship[/quote]I thought this was voted down as being the only "exile tax" in modern history outside of what was done to the Russian Jews.
Can anyone confirm this as a provision of the Kennedy Casselbaum Healthcare Portability Act?
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited February 25, 1999).]

Back