To trade or not

ronl

I have been given the opportunity to trade my Zastava M-85 for a practically NIB Para Executive Carry and 6 mags. I am torn. I put a lot of work into the M-85 setting it up just the way I wanted, and getting it to run perfectly. The Para is so slick it is amazing, night sights,micarta grips, superb trigger and a buttery slide. Trouble is I already have 3 1911's. I have too many pistols anyway, but another can't really hurt, can it? For what it is, the M-85 is really accurate and easy to shoot, especially since I built the custom sling. Classic approach-approach conflict. The Para sells for around $1100. The M-85 sells for around $540. Throw in a Primary Arms red-dot sight, custom fitted rail drilled and tapped to the cover hinge, Magpul sling adapter fitted on the rear trunnion, rail section added to the lower handguards with hand stop, and custom flash hider within a flash hider.(which works very well). You know how it is when you put a lot of your time perfecting something. What would you do? Just want to hear some opinions.

What exactly is an m85? I am guessing some kind of AK. If you already have 3 1911s, I would hang onto the ak, if it is currently your only rifle I would keep it, as they are very handy for ranges past 100yds! Besides, paras aren't all that great of 1911s, and personally I think Colt/Springfield/sig/Dan wesson, maybe even kimbers are better. I have only shot and handles paras never oned one. If the m85 is a AK pistol, I still say keep it. Excellent backpack gun. This isn't by chance an AK pistol chambered in .223?

Yes, it is indeed an AK pistol that accepts AR mags, which makes it rather easy to feed. One of the .45's I own is a Para P14, and it has been absolutely reliable and very accurate. I have many other rifles including AR's and AK's, but the M85 kind of fills a void. I also have the option to SBR it, which would be really easy to do.

Does the para up for trade offer something you have been looking for in a 1911? Having carry in the name I am guessing it's a commander sized barrel and maybe even a lightweight frame, sounds like it might make a nice CC pistol. But the m85 wood be an excellent backpacking or woods type of gun, compact, but with some firepower. Do whatever your heart desires, just know that the M85 will be much harder to get in the future than the para executive carry, although I have heard that para is going out of business or got bought out by the company that owns Remington or something. I personally would love an AK pistol in 7.62x39 to compliment my converted saiga ak

Zastava M-85 for a practically NIB Para Executive Carry and 6 mags.

Yes, it is indeed an AK pistol that accepts AR mags,

Hmm. OK, here's my take. You probably won't like it.

Make the trade.

The Zastava is a weird little proprietary toy that won't be useful for much but range fun and noise making, unless you can and do SBR it.

The Para is going to be more useful. Assuming it works. I don't hear good things about how well short barrel 1911s work.

I see you being marginally ahead at the end of it.

Where is cheapshooter when you need him!

to quote him
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Very wise words. If the Para is that important to you to get start saving or find one you can put on layaway!

I would not trade the M-85 if I were in your shoes.

I would suggest you compare weapons side by side, make your own decision and live with it. Why involve a party you can blame if later you have buyers remorse.

I had a para and it was junk. That's what the market thought of them so I say no way, Jose.

Keep the Zastava as a Katrina gun in a back pack.

Ibmikey, my thinking too. If you make another persons decision one of two things will happen.

If it is the correct decision they become your puppy dog, and they will come back to you time and time again for their next decision.

If it ends up the wrong decision, they will always blame you. ;)

I don't like either one.....but the AK pistol is yours, so you should do whatever you want...????

How many handguns do you want.....not up to me ( I have about 50, mostly 1911's and S&W revolvers - because it's what I like...) ...but there is always room for a few more, even though I have everything I want - today...!

If you like the AK pistol - keep it.
If you want, and can afford the Para, buy it.

You got 3 1911's... So, how many M85's or straight AR's or AK's?

Personally, I would keep the 85. AK that take's AR mags is nice because it has the best of both worlds. Simple design combined with a light (as in weight - not effectiveness) cartridge.

Unless you plan to sell the para and make a profit I would keep what you have worked so hard on. You have an emotional attachment to this firearm and I truly believe you are looking at just the $$$$ for $ value of your situation. The great thing about collecting firearms is you get to have what others do not.

But another thing to consider is you could sell the para buy another M85 and and you now have another project you can fall in love with and take her to dinner and buy her nice things to wear with the extra money.

I wouldn't. It strikes me odd that someone wants to trade an almost NIB gun off unless they were having trouble with it. Of course people also do odd things for many reasons.

Para has a spotty reputation for various reasons. I would ask to fire the gun first before I made up my mind. You could be buying someone else's troubles.

Just sayin'

Trading away a gun which you spent so much time getting to work perfectly in exchange for a fourth 1911 - personally I would not do this. On one hand, I'd be wondering about the motives of someone "trading down", and also personal investment of time to me is worth something.

However, your guns, your call.

lee n. field said:
Hmm. OK, here's my take. You probably won't like it.

Make the trade.

The Zastava is a weird little proprietary toy that won't be useful for much but range fun and noise making, unless you can and do SBR it.

The Para is going to be more useful. Assuming it works. I don't hear good things about how well short barrel 1911s work.

I see you being marginally ahead at the end of it.
I agree with the above ... to a point.

Where I disagree is in Mr. Field's assessment of the Para. I have two Para-Ordnance 1911s in my regular carry rotation, and I shot a Para when I was actively competing at my local range. IMHO there is nothing not to like about a Para pistol, and mine have been completely reliable -- right down to the 3" models (of which I have two).

Trade an AK-47 "pistol" for a Para 1911? With six magazines? I'd make that trade in a heartbeat, and laugh like a maniac all the way home.

Not sure if you're aware of it but since Para got bought out by Freedom Group pretty much all their existing stock of current models have been marked down to about 50% of MSRP and are being sold off to discount brokers such as CDNN.

TMD, That must be why SARCO has tons of Para slides and other parts listed. I have never owned a Para but shot a double stack years ago and was less than impressed with shooting qualities although it functioned correctly.

Back