To swivel or not to swivel....

Noban

I need a bipod for my PSS and have decided on the harris 6" to 13" model. Is there any real advantage/disadvantage to the swivel models and what are they?

Thanks,

Noban

The swiveling model will compensate for uneven ground, with the non-swiveling model you have to dig it in on uneven ground to get your rifle level.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

No swivel. They let the rifle move around too freely. A bipod is supposed to give you a steady rest and a clear,steady sight picture, the rifle moving around on it won't allow that. The standard bipod does allow for uneven surfaces, that's why the legs move up and down independently. Several acquaintances of mine tried the swiveling bipods when they first came out, they all went back to the standard ones.

motorep,

That is not true. The swivel Harris's do not sway side to side. They offer very good support. I got my Harris 25S (12-25") bipod last night and mounted it. There is a tension knob on the back to determine how easily it can swivel. I like it set with a lot of tension to where you have to conciously tilt the rifle on your own. But I would say that for $25 more and a bipod that you will have for a long time it is definatly worth it.

[This message has been edited by KilgorII (edited June 30, 2000).]

What KilgorII said is right on the money, the Harris does not swivel freely with the tension set properly. I would never go back to the non-swivel Harris, I had too many situations where I had to dig in the high leg to get my rifle level.

Rex- why would you "dig in" the high side when you can just shorten the leg?
Maybe we're talking about different uses here- I, and my friends, shoot 3-gun matches, some shoot prairie dogs. The swiveling bipods have proved unsatisfactory for our needs for the above mentioned reasons. Your requirements may not be the same.

I don't like the amount of motion required to reach around to the front of the rifle and screw around with the bipod to get the rifle exactly level: loosen the set screw... oops too much...pull the leg back out... tighten the set screw...get back in to your prone position and see it needs further adjustment...do it all over again. That kind of stuff can get you busted after a long stalk to get into a good shooting position.

When I was shooting off a non-swivel Harris I found it quicker (and less visible to an observer) to reach around once S-L-O-W-L-Y and force the high leg into the ground to get the rifle level, I was never totally satisfied with this though because it left an obvious impression in the ground, all the better to give trackers a place to start tracking you from! ;)

[This message has been edited by Rex Feral (edited June 30, 2000).]

Back