To shoot or not to shoot rifle

VW3

Inactive
Hello everyone, I’ve been reading the forum here for awhile and have finally decided to create an account and make a post because I have a question for you all.

When I was 12, I won a Henry Goldenboy in .22LR through a raffle. My dad suggested that I don’t shoot it so that someday it would be worth lots of money. Now it’s about 13 years later and I would kind of like to shoot it.

So, is there any truth to that? Are unfired guns worth that much more? Or should I just take it out and shoot it?

I'm of the opinion that if you have a rifle that you want to shoot, then shoot it and enjoy it. The value will be in its unmodified condition so as long as you dont modify it you'll retain most of its value. I recently found an unmodified pre 64 Winchester model 94 in pristine condition. First thing I did after cleaning it was to shoot it. It had been shot before and almost any good rifle will have been shot during testing at the factory. I dont think anyone would expect it to have never been fired.

I'm of the opinion that if you have a rifle that you want to shoot, then shoot it and enjoy it. The value will be in its unmodified condition so as long as you dont modify it you'll retain most of its value. I recently found an unmodified pre 64 Winchester model 94 in pristine condition. First thing I did after cleaning it was to shoot it. It had been shot before and almost any good rifle will have been shot during testing at the factory. I dont think anyone would expect it to have never been fired.
That’s what I’m thinking. It makes me a little sad though to go all these years without shooting it. Will an older Goldenboy even really have much value in 50 years?

Henry Golden Boy rifles are in production and have been for many years. So, IMO, collector value is nil, go and shoot it. Of course, if during your lifetime the rifle becomes a collector's sweetheart, you may feel kinda silly, but you'll feel better when you think of the fun you had. A friend of mine about 40 years ago had a 1962 Chevy Malibu Super Sport with a 409. It was sitting in the pasture behind his barn. He used to laugh when I asked him why he didn't fix it up. He said he'd had his fun with it, until the car became too much trouble to keep running, then it was no fun. So, go have your fun with it. In the mean time, they'll make more.

I enjoyed this quote, retold by an associate.

Elmer Kieth had received a new custom rifle, supposed to be a piece of art.

His friend said to him" Isn't that rifle to pretty to shoot?

Elmer was supposed to have said " Ever seen a girl to pretty to kiss?"

I don't know if this is true or not, but I like it anyway.

So, you decide to shoot it or not.

As was said already.
Has been in production for years, and i don't forsee them stopping production any time soon.

It's not like the 1860 Harpersferry that i bought years ago.

Thanks for the input everyone. Next time I’m home I’ll take it out and try to channel my inner John Wayne!

If you want an investment, put your money in Warren Buffett / Berkshire Hathaway or Jeff Bezos/ Amazon companies.
If you want fun, shoot the rifle.

(This is not investment advice:)

That’s what I’m thinking. It makes me a little sad though to go all these years without shooting it. Will an older Goldenboy even really have much value in 50 years?
In 50 years, the early HRA Goldenboy rifles may be worth a bit more than 'run-of-the-mill' rifles; and unfired examples may be worth notably more.

But a 2005 rifle is going to be 'run-of-the-mill' ... even if unfired.

Shoot it, or sell it. Don't sit on it.

A Henry Goldenboy in .22LR has no current collector value or interest. Maybe in 100 or so years though. Not 50.
"...sitting in the pasture behind his barn..." Rusting. Be worth some money if it had been cared for. There's a '72 Malibu SS on .autotrader.ca valued at $49,900Cdn.

I buy my firearms for me to enjoy. I dont really care what its valued to someone in the future.

I care about the enjoyment I get out of it. I dont have any guns I dont shoot.

Shoot it, or sell it. Don't sit on it.

Yep. And not to rain on anyone's parade but 4V50 Gary's admonition regarding the future collectability predictability of "zinc framed" firearms is no doubt the case. If there's an exception to the rule, I'd be interested in learning of it/them. Liberators? And even they were stamped steel as opposed to "pot metal" (I think).

Last edited:
Go for it !!!

"Every dog deserves one good bite."

As long as it's safe to do so, I shoot "most" everything I have owned, at least once. I have even shot commemoratives. I do have some museum pieces that I have never shot but some one else has … :p

Go for it and;
Be Safe !!!!

Shoot the crap out of it and enjoy every minute!!! Life's too short to not enjoy the toys you own. I own a bunch of guns and fired everyone of them many times. Twenty-twos were made to enjoy shooting; so have fun!!!

JP

Add some character and memories

I think it's sad you've not enjoyed it for 13 years. It's not particularly rare or valuable and it has sentimental value. Use it as an occasional shooter and maybe one day you'll teach your kids to shoot with that gun and pass it down to one of them. You can't take it with you in your casket.

Back