To reloaders for MP5’s

Ozzieman

To reloaders for MP5’s

I know that this isn’t the reloading section but I am trying to work up a load for a friend that has an MP5. I am using very hard 147 GR cast bullets and have been trying to find a load that will function well in an HK. I have a Beretta Storm Carbine that I will also be trying them in.
If you have a pet load I could try, I’m looking for powder recommendations, I would be in your debt.

The fluted chamber is hard on brass,(not sure how many loadings you are going to get) that being said the MP5 also doesnt do +P very well ( a case will stick in the fluted chamber to the point of having to butt stroke the cocking handle with a shotgun butt to get it out..been there/done that with cor-bon factory ammo)
So do keep to standard pressure pistol loads no matter what, as that is what they were designed for .(unlike an open bolt UZI that can eat the +P+ hot loads)

p99guy, Thank you, that’s good information to know. These will NOT be +P's. This is inexpensive target and training rounds and will be mid pressure.
I have helped him work up loads for jacketed 115 GR bullets using Winchester 231 but since I have never used heavy bullets in the longer barrels I think that 231 might be too fast of a burning powder, that’s why I came to this section to find people with experience with the gun.
Thanks p99guy!

I never had any issue with Federal +P, +P+ in my gun, nor any of the surplus SMG ammo that was floating around back in the late 80''s and 90's. The only ammo that caused a flute issue was IMI "Black Tip" carbine ammo from around the late 80's. That was more of a brass issue than a gun issue, as it started to fire form the brass into the flutes. The gun always kept running though and I never had a stoppage that tied the gun up. Actually, I rarely had any kind of stoppage.

I never had issues with reloading brass out of it either. I'm still shooting 9mm brass today that went through my MP5 and MAC a number of times, without issue, and that brass has been around for years. Now the brass out of my 91's was usually shorter lived than my other 308's, and I usually got about 6 loads out of them, maybe 8 if I was lucky.

When I did load for mine, I used 115 or 124 grain and whatever powder I had. No special load, usually the loading just under max, in the 1050-1150 fps range. Never used anything heavier though.

147 sub-sonic

Oz,
I can't speak for the HK. These loads run in my Colt, Uzi, and, MP-40 just fine with no flat looking primers.
I only load Hornaday's 147 FMJ-RN, but use either 4.0 grs. 231 or 5.1grs. of Acc. No. 5.
Suppressed chrono results out of a M9 Beretta with an accurate 5"Jarvis barrel versus the 10" Colt are;
4.0grs. 231 5.1grs. No. 5
5" Beretta - 956 970
10" Colt - 959 977

IMHO, the No.5 is the overall better load, it just seems to shoot a little better.
Just my .02, JT

I use a 147 grain berry's with 3.1 of VV310 for IDPA it's sub sonic and very clean. The VV310 is on the expensive side so I swtich to titegroup, 3.2 grains, for my mac 10.

I would use at least plated bullets (like the berrys) if you are using a suppressor.

Back