to port or not too port?

sboss

Inactive
I have a fullsized loaded model Springfield Armory 45. I have considered havint it ported but I do not know enough about ported guns to make a smart decision. Is it worth doing? Would it be better/cheaper for me to just buy a new gun and sell my old one? What is your opinion on this?

Thanks,
Scott

Porting isn't that expensive, Mag-Na-Port will port an automatic through the slide for around $120 or a revolver or extended-barrel auto for around $80.

Personally, I wouldn't port a .45. Porting seems to work best on higher-pressure cartridges like 10mm Auto. JMHO.

I have a Glock 20C with factory porting that is similar to what Mag-Na-Port does. It definitely reduces muzzle flip and felt recoil by a large margin in that gun. However, it is also a good bit louder. Some people don't think ported guns are sutible for self-defense because they vent gases upward... personally I prefer the increase in accurate rate of fire and think the concern is overrated. Note that many LEOs carry ported weapons, FWIW.

C.B.

.45 is a fairly low-pressure round, and porting in .45 does not generally have significant results, unless you shoot a racegun with a quad-chamber compensator. The calibers that gain the most in the controllability department are the high-pressure rounds such as the .40, .357SIG, or 10mm Auto.

I have a Glock 22c, my dad has a Glock 22. We got them the at same time (same day), I have shot them both. There is a definite difference! My 22c has almost no muzzle flip at all (compared to my dads). I don't know a thing about gas pressure in different calibers so I wont pretend to but I do know it makes a world of difference in .40S&W.

Port?

I wouldn't do it. Have shot the V-12. Not a noticeable difference. Now, if you're shooting 45 super, maybe, but for standard 45...keep it non ported. :)

Don't port a .45. It is a low pressured round and I don't think porting will do much good. I do know that ported guns tend to make poor choices for home defense or personal defense guns.

If you carry that gun, do NOT have it ported. If you do, and ever have to pull it at night (which is the most likely time period for BG's to be out plying their trade), you'll get one shot and then be all but blinded.

And it's already been mentioned: the .45 ACP is a very low-pressure round already. There's nothing to be gained here, in my opinion, and plenty to be lost.

Back