To Lead or not to Lead, that is the question.

Civilian

Having ordered a new GP100, I am in need of some .38 and
.357 bullets. A coworker told me to use lead bullets only - it is gentler on the barrel and will not lower the accuracy over time. Another friend told me this was rubbish, that using lead bullets only means it will take 2-3 times as long to clean the gun.

Will non-lead bullets cause extra wear in the barrel?

I suppose so, but you're talking your lifetime plus the lifetime of your children's children. Metallurgy is so refined as a science that S&W can tell you approximately how many rounds have gone through the barrel. It's my belief that the flame and gases wear a barrel down faster than bullets (unless you're using steel bullets).

Ditto above. Both lead and jacketed are fine; may need to look for lead in barrel if you use a lot of lead. It is not that hard to clean. Enjoy!:)

Jacketed bullet have more friction against the barrel wall when fired. That makes them run at higher temperatures and slower than lead using the same powder levels. There is also the issue of obturation that makes lead bullets more accurate. Jacketed material a also much more expensive to shoot than lead. It is true that it takes three times as long to clean leading and lube from a gun. But due to cost, you also get to shoot three time as long and often.

Robert

I use nothing but cast bullets in my handguns, but then again I work at a lead smelter....... FREE BULLETS!! No real problems with leading or cleaning up after. I use 'em in .38, .357, .41 mag, .44 spl, .44 mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .35 Remington (Contender), a Winchester "Big Bore 94" in .375 Winchester and a few BP guns.

Back