To lap or not to lap (now there's a question)

Wild Bill Bucks

Bought a new .50 caliber muzzleloader yesterday, and the barrel has a couple of tight spots in it. Question is, will lapping the barrel take the tight spots out, or will it just take the riflings out in those two places?

Has anyone ever lapped a muzzleloader before? What's the do's and don'ts.

Well I have shot lapped a few Pistols and a couple ML rifles. I just used valve grinding /lapping paste on the ball and patch and shot it once a day like that and over several days(2-4) it seemed to smooth out the tight spots. On the C & B pistols I just put the compound over the balls instead of bore butter.

I recall seeing a thread once about lapping where the fellow had a device with a series of bushings that kept the lapping rod in more or less perfect alignment with the bore. It may have been a home made device though.
I wouldn't advocate attempting any lapping unless you can determine the best method to use and learn about the pitfalls.
Can the gun go back to the seller or maybe be sent in to a warranty center? I've heard that some companies have master distributors or a warranty repair (or replacement) center or 2 in the U.S., and they can be accomodating.
Since it's a new gun, maybe you should try that route rather than be unhappy with home lapping results. Or if that fails, seek a professional barrel maker (or possibly a gun builder) for advice. They routinely lap barrels, maybe they have some specialized methods that will help to insure better results.
I don't believe that your barrel situation is the same as simple pitting or sharp rifling edges.
What brand is it?
Do you want the names of some smaller barrel makers? :rolleyes:

Articap,

Talked to Thompson and sent it back to them for their opinion. I figured you are right, if you don't know what your doing, your better off finding someone who does.

It was a Thompson Encore. This is the third one I have owned, and have not had any trouble with the other two, so I am sure they will do the right thing by me.( I Hope)

Back