To gong or not to gong, that is the question!

the45er

I have purchased a number of different AR500 steel plates in 3/8" and 1/2" thicknesses. They were advertised as "gong" targets but they dang sure don't make the sound that a gong makes! I watch Hickok45 on YouTube shoot his gong targets and all of them produce a very definite "gong" sound when struck by a bullet.

Anyone have a clue what his are made of versus what I've been buying?

A 'gong' target has nothing to do with the sound it makes when hit. It's about how the plate is hung on chains like a dinner or Chinese/Japanese temple gong.
You can add sound effects to YouTube video's.

How big? I have from 2" Mickey Mouse-full sized IDPAs, and the smaller they are the more *TIINK* sound they make and the less *GONG* sound they make. Also, a bigger and heavier bullet is going to ring deeper. A .45 sounds a lot different than a .22.

There is a 4' round gong on my range @ 660 yds that I've heard make a deep *GONG* sound. It isn't hard to hear an impact with 5.56 even on a breezy day. Shoot it with a 45-70 and it makes the *GONG* sound. That's the closest sound to an actual gong instrument I've heard, and it's HUGE. Even a full sized IDPA goes *PA-TINK* with small calibers.

I'd love to have a freaking four foot gong!!! Not sure I could make a hit at 660 but it would be fun to try!

Eazyeach

I'd love to have a freaking four foot gong!!! Not sure I could make a hit at 660 but it would be fun to try!
4’ @ 660yds is over 7moa. People shoot it with iron sights all the time. You could do it a lot more easily than you think.

4’ @ 660yds is over 7moa. People shoot it with iron sights all the time. You could do it a lot more easily than you think.

Ditto. This is not a difficult shot. A first round hit would require a little more skill, but even then not anything crazy.

20" gongs at that distance are a different story, and even then most shooters can start to land hits on target with iron sights given enough practice/patience/attempts. It's still a 3moa target

There are a couple of guys who come out with their Sharps Rifles and tang sights who shoot that thing dead center almost every time. They say, "We're working a knot!", and I can assure you that when they hit there is a very loud *GONG* sound that could be heard in a thunderstorm. I think one of them shoots a 45-90.

OzeanJaeger,,,its that flying sledge hammer those guys are tossing down range,,,they are prolly getting a pretty good wiggle out of that plate too

i guess size really does matter

ocharry

Back