To Clean or Not

ColColt

I have a new FN M70 in 7x57 I've yet to be able to shoot. What's the current feelings about the need to break in a barrel like this...fire one, clean, fire another, clean or just shoot it?

There isn't likely to be any consensus here...some agree with it and some don't. What I think of as a "broken in" barrel means that it fouls less and becomes easier to clean; they all eventually get there but it might get there quicker with a break-in routine. Personally I don't feel like it can hurt anything as long as a quality rod and bore guide are used for the cleaning process. Poor cleaning technique is likely to do more harm than good. Also, high quality match barrels are usually hand lapped already and probably wouldn't benefit.

I seriously doubt this is one of those hand lapped barrels, however. Many years ago I had never even heard of breaking in a barrel. This is maybe 1968-1980 or so and whenever I bought a new rifle, just shot it and cleaned it when I got home. I don't recall any shotgun pattern rifles because I didn't follow a cleaning regiment at the range first or any excess copper build up. Ignorance may be bliss.

I'm still on the fence about it. Were it a Lilja barrel, I'd follow their recommendations but a Lilja barrel it ain't.

FN made barrels are cold hammer forged, IIRC.

I would not bother with a break in procedure, but on the flip side break in procedures generally fall into the "mostly harmless if done right" category.

Jimro

I began centerfire in 1950. I never heard of "break in" until joining TFL and the subject came up maybe in 1999.

Had bunches of sub-MOA with many rifles, even though I was ignorant. :)

Yep, back in the day before I got "educated" about break ins I had a custom 270 that consistently, not just once in a while, would give 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I never had any sort of copper cleaner other than Hoppe's and a once in a great while a few swipes with JB and that was it. Another rifle that would do that was a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag-especially with Nosler's 140 gr Partition bullet.

"Back in the day" it wasn't called "breaking in a barrel", it was referred to as "Sweetening the barrel".
Generally it means the same thing, it's just that back then most people just shot the barrel until accuracy and fouling improved.

Today, the technique is to fire shots and clean according to any number of plans.
The idea is that bores have microscopic burrs and imperfections.
Cleaning the fouling out prevents it from building up on the imperfections and allows the bullets to continue hitting the imperfections themselves and smoothing them out.

With a production barrel it can't hurt and may well help, as long as you use quality cleaning materials and the proper technique to prevent any wear or damage of the barrel.
Proper materials mean a one piece polished stainless steel rod or a carbon fiber rod used from the chamber end.

I've got all the necessities like KG12, Bore Tech Eliminator, JB Compound, etc and a Tipton carbon fiber rod. I have Possum Hollow bore guides in all but my latest acquisition, the 7x57.

I went down the shot one clean one procedure in a Savage Predator 243 only to be told by Savage you don't have to break in their barrels.

Some will disagree, but this has always been my method with my firearms:

Shoot till out of ammo or done with that particular rifle that day.

take it home and clean it.

Repeat.

I began centerfire in 1950. I never heard of "break in" until joining TFL and the subject came up maybe in 1999.

Had bunches of sub-MOA with many rifles, even though I was ignorant

Amazing how that works. Uhhh, I mean *used to* work. :scrutiny: I'm going with Art & Gale McMillan on this one.

Barrel break in is such a touchy subject I hate to jump into this....but what the heck, I'm feeling frisky today :p

A few years ago I had a rifle built. I researched barrel break in and opinions varied widely, even among barrel manufactures. In the end I decided to do a break in routine on my new rifle but not because I thought it would make it more accurate. I did it because it might make it easier to clean. Now there is no way I can prove or disprove that it did or did not make it easier to clean since I can't afford two custom rifles at one time:( Proper cleaning of a rifle barrel is not going to hurt it so I really don't see a reason not to do break in. The only thing lost was my time cleaning it between rounds.

8 years ago I did the barrel break in on a Rem. 700 LTR 308 Cal. was always very accurate. Had the barrel replaced & action blueprinted, Rock Creek did not recommend a barrel break in, they just said shoot 20 slow fired rounds and your done. Thats what I did, am very pleased. The production barrels do foul more than a custom, I feel if the barrel is accurate breaking in will not change it to be better, same goes for a bad barrel. Luck of the draw. Most barrels shoot good.

There is only one true answer: you are to find the single most strict barrel break-in routine, one with extreme details that makes for a most ridiculous process. Learn it to the absolute letter! :eek:

When you actually have the rifle on the range for the first time, don't do any of that procedure. None of it. Not one detail.

Now you're finished.

This way, you always have an out for your lousy shooting. :D
"Meh, the rifle can't do any better. Barrel wasn't broken in."

I've only had one custom rifle over the years and it was a 270 with a Douglas barrel. I knew little about barrels in 1969 and asked the stock maker what he would choose. He told me an FN Supreme action and a Douglas barrel.

the rifle turned out to be one of the most accurate I've ever owned and knowing zilch about break ins then I just shot it, brought it home and cleaned it good. That's the way I always did it and never ran one patch, clean or dry through it at the range. It gave on average 3/4" groups, if I did my part.

I never did the break in, im pretty bad in cleaning my guns I clean them maybe twice a year, and I shoot lot.
Here a pic of yesterday with my 22-250 at 100 yards, I probably have about 2 k rounds through the barrel. It still is very accurate, its 5 shots.
gybaqugu.jpg

I am like Art, just not as handsome, or old...:)

Never heard of "break-in" until I got older. Then I think it was Shilen whom shared some thoughts on this, and I do not have the bookmart set.

Yeah, I run a patch when if a new gun, ( factory stuff, if any ) shoot the darn thing, and most often just use a patch after accuracy degrades. Also after being out in rain/snow.

Just me, still the barrel will advise you when it needs attention. It does not need much, and I am of the opinion too many guns/barrels are messed due to over cleaning.

Then again I "are" a heathen, I carry and use a dirty gun.

Two comments.
One, the late barfrelmaker Gale McMillan stated that if one did a barrel break in procedure on one of his barrels it would null and void the warrantee.

Two. I bought a secondhand 7x57 Winchester M70 FWT push feed model from a friend. It had a barrel that copper fouled so badly that accuracy was gone by the time I'd shot 20 rounds. Didn't matter if it was factory ammo or my reloads. It damn swell gauranteed and 8 hour cleaning job with Sweet's 7.62 and a finisher with JB Bore paste. One day I got just a bit bent out of shape while cleaning it after a session at the range and decided to do something about it.
I cast up 20 7MM bullets and treated them with the three grits from a firelapping kit. Fifteen got the various grits and the last five were treated with the JB Bore paste. As I recall I loaded them over 10.0 gr. of Unique but I'm not totally sure on the charge weight. Might have been a bit less as I didn't want the bullets to go too fast. Shot each group of bullets, cleaning between each set and letting the barrel get cold. You have to be sure to clean the chamber thoroughly between each group. When the three grits were done it was time for the JB. Again a good cleaning, Then I shot a five round group at 100 yards. Not surpisingly the groups wasn't all that great but remember that barrel had just been firelapped to bare metal. The next five shots grouped much better and by the time I fired the last set on paper groups were nice and tight, right at the .75" mark. :cool:
If I'd tried the accepted method of breaking in a barrel I'm thinking it would have taken more than 100 rounds through that barrel and a lot more just shooting as I normally do. If you do have a barrel that copper fouls badly, fgive firelapping a try.
Note: I've heard firelapping hastens throat wear and that probably is true. That's why I used 5 each cast bullets with the various grits rather than the recommened 10 each copper bullets. After all, when a gunsmith lapped a barrel he does not use a copper slug to the the job. He used one made of lead.
Paul B.

It was a Winchester M70 270 FWT that gave me fits stripping copper badly. I went thought the process at the range of cleaning after each shot then after every third one...didn't matter. After 20 rounds and I got home, ran the traditional Hoppe's through it followed by clean patches, KG12, Bore Tech Eliminator, etc and then JB. After a solid hour I finally got it clean.

I finally broke down and bought some of David Tubb's bullets and loaded five each of the #3, #4 and #5 and shot them. I used a minimum start charge of IMR 4064 loading those bullets. I haven't been back to the range with that rifle yet but hope it did some good.

I'll admit to breaking in a couple barrels with the "process". IMO I did not see any benefit, the break in procedure felt more like a ritual than anything else, and was about as beneficial too. At the time I felt like I had been hoodwinked and assumed there was someone smirking at me.

Back