To bi or not to bi - bipod's the question

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am considering adding a bipod to either my Garand or the AR15. The point is more learning how to use them than any expected benefits (and wondering when those will get banned).

I am thinking of getting a Harris bipod. Questions:

- any reasons to avoid them? I see some armied issue built-in bipods and some don't...

- Harris or sm-th else?

- how to affix it to the Garand?

- what height?

- again, any drawbacks besides added weight?

------------------
Oleg "cornered rat" Volk (JPFO,NRA)

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Oleg, I can't answer all of your question in stone as you seem to like. I will offer you the following first hand observations.
1. To avoid or not? A bipod is a shooting rest. Shooting from a good rest will give you an advantage as the sight picture is moving atound less. Shooting from a poor rest may induce more sight wobble. Quite a few of the issue bipods are add on devices that are removeable if not needed.

2. Harris or ??? I have several Harris bipods and have not had any problems with them. They are light so you might expect some damage from hard knocks. "They are very easy to remove and install as the attachment point is the front swivel stud. We are not talking $300 bipods here we are in the $100 range. I have tried another brand or so and was not as pleased with them.
3. Easy to attach a sling swivel to an AR with parts from Harris the M1 might be a trick. The only non Harris bipod that I have in my inventory is the govt. bipod for my
M14E2
Height is a problem. What do you want to use it for? They make them for bench to sitting.
4. PRACTICE IS LEARNING
I hope that I have answered a question or two for you.
Hank

Bipods have their advantages. They help steady the rifle for a more precise shot. They also allow you to put the rifle down without it getting dirty or worse, falling over. The disadvantage is the weight and bulk. What if you're in a heavily vegetated area and the legs get snagged (OK, the HK-91 and FN-FAL won't)? Further, can you accomplish the same by using your jacket or your knapsack? I have bipods on some rifles (my 26" heavy barrel Remington 700), but won't put one on a SKS, AR (unless it's one of those DPMS with a HEAVY 24" bull barrel that bears a stronger resemblence to an axle shaft than a gun barrel), AK, M14, M1 Garand. Just a matter of personal preference though.

For the bench, I don't like using a bipod...I find it distracting, prefer a sandbag or shooting bag.
For hunting, I like having a bipod available. I have used the bipod on my HK91 a couple times while hunting, came in handy.

I have used a bipod on the M60 machine gun and wouldn't think of going into battle with one of these without one. They are heavy!
For M1's and AR's I should think you would be better off learing to shoot with a sling. Thats the traditonal way to help steady these arms.

The use of a bipod is better than not in most cases. You can shoot better than not using any support. As for shooting accurately with a bipod because of the effect of recoil. It causes the rifle to recoil differently as it digs in. Shooters who must hit their target like the Marine Sniper does not us a bipod but instead shoot off a ammo can with a bag laced to it. This is a much better method but a little more awkward There is a new bipod which has a ball slide carrier which allows the legs to stay in one place and the rifle slides to the rear on the ball slid. I haven't seen or used it so can't comment about its use. A Harris is worth the money even though they are lightly made

I just got a Harris bi-pod for my Armalite M-15(T). I think its great. I shoot at the range only, and for me it is nice not to have to bring the front rest and bags with me. I bought the intermediate height, which is working well for the bench and for prone shooting. I believe it is a model S-LM. Compared to the weight of the 24" heavy barrel I have, I hardly notice the extra weight of the bi-pod. I already had a sling swivel stud so installation took just seconds.

The Harris bipod is standard issue with the Army's M-24 sniper rifle. I have used it in the field and it stands up to abuse pretty well. I own two myself and have nothing but good things to
say about them.

------------------
I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

What Herodotus said.... The Harris bipods are nice but I shoot my ARs, M14 and Garand with Turner slings, as a matter of fact I don't own a bipod currently. I have much better control over recoil, especially with the Garand, with these than a bipod but that's me. For a scoped rifle and for extreme accuracy the bipod would be the way to go, but for the Garand I'd try the sling if you haven't before, you be amazed at how well you can hold in the prone position with the sling set up right. I like the sling and biased towards it, before I used one I'm not sure how I lived without it.

Sorry I got on a rant there. As far as what I've HEARD of installing sling swivels on M14/M1As it requires supporting the stock(sorry, I don't have any details). Harris makes an adapter for the AR handguard. I've owned Harris in the past and they are nice. I believe Midway offers a new bipod thats plastic and aluminum. Height would depend on how you are using it. Good Luck and hold hard.

Brian

Back