To All My NRA Brothers & Sisters

Drew

I was wondering your thoughts about mail the NRA sends us regularly. I believe it would cost less and save resources, if they would e-mail us legislative alerts, contribution letters, etc. I realize not every NRA member has access to a computer, but for those of us who do, it would save money to put toward the good fight.

I have tried over the last two weeks to contact them regarding this, but so far I have not received a reply. Plan B would be to see if there are enough people who feel as I do. If there are enough, then get some kind of petition started.

The question is: Does anyone think this would be a legitmate idea? Have I overlooked something that would not make this feasible? Any feedback regarding this would be welcome.

I realize this could be over-penny pinching, but I had to try. Thanx.

i thought the post cards addressed to Dan Rather were a play right out of the GOA book.

very effective
mine were in the mail 10 minutes later

dZ

Well, actually... This was one of the issues that Neal Knox brought up; That all these letters were costing a lot to mail, and that, (He claimed) most of the donations they brought in wound up just paying for the letters. He even thought there might be some kind of kickback going on from the mass mailing firms, and wanted an independent audit.

Now, you'd think that the NRA would respond to a former(?) board member and, what? Ex president? But no, they hit him with a systematic smear campaign, ran an advertisement in the magazine asking everyone to vote against all the board members known to have any sympathy for him, shut off the mike when he tried to speak at the convention, and generally did him dirt. What they did NOT do was respond to his allegations, or even so much as acknowlege that he'd made them.

Which leads me to expect that Neal probably was right, or at least close to uncovering something shady.

------------------
Sic semper tyranus!

yeah i agree our membership fees buy a LOT of paper.

But REMEMBER that the NRA is advertising its position to others who are NOT members everytime they print something. E-mail is not as effective a marketing tool because ONLY you see it, whereas their magazines, brochures, etc lay around on your coffee table where your NIEGHBORS and RELATIVES and FRIENDS might see it.

I'd like to see the NRA/ILA be a little more environment friendly in thier choices of paper stock and inks, but understand that the NRA is printing "proaganda" just like HCI is. They BOTH want it to be glossy, colorful, and appealing to the eye.

So think about that the next time your buddy who ISN'T a member shows up... leave that NRA sweepsatkes entry or copy of American Hunter out where he can see it. You are helping the cause. ;)

Your pal in advertising,

Dr.Rob

Drew,

You are correct, sir!

I have always assumed that the NRA got enought money from it's mailings to pay for them and then some; or else they wouldn't do them. I agree that some info, such as the Fax Alerts, calls for letters, etc. would be better disseminated (sp?) through e-mail. At the very least it would save the money that would normally be spent on additional copies of the mailings, mail-house costs, postage, etc.

It's an idea whose time has come. I with you brother.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

I agree on the email idea.
Half the time I don't even read the letters as it seems they come every other day.
If they saved money on the mailings they could drop the $35 down to where the real cheap guys would sign up.(Maybe...)
Also, how many members actually read all of American Rifleman?
I like the true stories and the updates, but sometimes the rest of the articles are not that exciting or interesting.
I like the NRA, but I think it needs a fine tuning.

I received this today from the NRA:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting us with your concerns. If any NRA member feels they are receiving too much mail from us, all they have to do is contact us and we will make the necessary adjustments to their file. Please feel free to pass this information on.

Best Regards,
M Patrick
NRA Member Services

Sounds like a winner to me. You can contact them at:

www.nrahq.org/contact.cgi

From their website: www.nraila.org

How do I subscribe/unsubscribe to NRA-ILA's E-mail alerts?

You can subscribe to NRA-ILA e-mail alerts through the myNRAILA service at www.NRAILA.org. Configuring your myNRAILA profile will personalize the content of the alerts you receive as well as collect and display the NRA-ILA information you want to your myNRAILA homepage. You may unsubscribe from the e-mail alerts at any time by modifying your myNRAILA profile.

If you have only e-mail access to the Internet, you may still subscribe to E-mail Alerts, but we will not be able to personalize the content of the alerts you receive. To subscribe to the general alerts list, please send a message to majordomo@nra.org, and, as the body of the message (plain text, no HTML), include only the following: subscribe rkba-alert

To unsubscribe from the general alerts, you can use the on-line form provided at the top of your myNRAILA homepage or send a message to majordomo@nra.org. As the body of the message (plain text, no HTML), include only the following: unsubscribe rkba-alert

Please report subscription problems to owner-rkba-alert@nra.org.

I do have to say their website is getting better with age. It seems a lot more usefull than a couple years ago. Problem with the alerts is that there are always so many of them.

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

All I know is this: If what was said in the other thread was true, RE: The NRA spending 800K to fight the anti's, and they are only spending 360k, then there's a hell of a lot of waste somewhere.

For an organization that boasts of the huge amount of members, someone or several someone's is getting too rich off it instead of putting the money where it needs to go.

This is starting to remind me of the Girl Scouts, who wind up seeing less than 1/100th of what they make selling the cookies because of all of the bueracracy behind the scenes... only in this case we're losing our *rights*

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Back