Titanium??

stubby

Does anybody have any experience with titanium revolvers?? I just picked up a small 38 special 2" snubby and find it to be extremely light and convenient to carry. Is corrosion a problem?What about sweat since I carry inside the pants and sweat profusely. The manual indicated not to use any "abrasive" on the cylinder face. Is a "lead away" cloth an abarasive? Thanks for any information.

I have a 44 spcl almost two years old with no signs of wear or abuse. I got it to wear in an ultra concealment (Blade-Tech) type holster. I rotate this with a Glock . I also sweat a lot. No problems yet on either. I do not use the cloth you spoke of so I can not answer that one. Hope this helps.
michael

I've got a 342ti. I've had a few problems with it, including the barellette coming loose, and a piece which either wore very quickly or just came with a flaw from the factory. Both times I called S&W, and they sent me a shipping label so I didn't have to pay for shipping, fixed the gun perfectly, and shipped it back to me quickly. Say all you want about their politics, but they have excellent customer service.

Anyway, the gun is great to carry, but not very comfortable to shoot. If you're looking for a gun for target shooting, look elsewhere, but this is a great carry gun. Corrosion isn't a problem, as I carry in a Galco ankle holster. I clean with regular cleaning supplies.

I had both a 342PD, and a Taurus 85UC ultralite. To me the Smith borders on "too light" and I am no sissy. I love shooting, it was difficult to practice with the Ti Smith frequently. The Taurus was about 3.5oz. heavier and the barrel was ported. I think this made a tremendous difference in comfort. But, here is what I learned along the way:
Grips: use a pair that cover the backstrap. This will help enormously! I found a pair of Siles from CDNN investments for 3.99. They were thinner than pachmayr compacs and better looking.
Shooting Glove: picked up a cheapy pair at gunshow for 5.99 pr. the were black mesh with slightly padded palm.
Ammo Selection: Found the most enjoyable to practice with were 100Grain double end wadcutter from 3-D. They were loaded about 725FPS and were comfortable to shoot.
Here is my next project: a SW 37/637, ported. Anyway, good luck and have fun. The first time I shot mine with Federal 125Gr. Nyclad, I thought I blew my hand off.

I have a 337 (external hammer) AirLite Ti. I carry it a lot, but don't shoot it very much. It is s-o-o-o-o-o light--when you hold it unloaded, it feels like anything but a real gun. Fully loaded, it weighs less than a pound, so you can carry it about anywhere.

In cool weather, I use the inside pocket of my jacket, and a Hedley pocket holster. In hot weather, I use a Coronado Leather Stealth waist pack, and sometimes I forget the gun is actually there.

Target shooting can be punishing; it depends on whether your load is +p or not, or either a light or heavy round. The WORST ammo on my hand was Fiocchi 158gr. FMJ...it HURT...ten rounds was all I could handle. Lighter rounds such as American Eagle or Blazer 130gr. were manageable. My carry load is Cor-Bon 125gr. JHP +P. I have shot these rounds, and it isn't that bad--nothing like those Fiocchis.

One more thing--it is highly recommended by S&W that you DO NOT shoot lead nosed bullets. Sometimes the recoil is so severe, that the soft lead can actually come unseated, move forward, and freeze up the cylinder.

My gun came with Uncle Mike's Boot grips. The newer AirLite PD's come with Hogue Bantams. I switched mine to Hogue and I like them much better...also, the Bantams are 0.8 oz. lighter that Uncle Mike's. So, my featherweight gun is even MORE feathery.

I use the factory laminated wood grips on my 342. I use 125 grain Plus P Gold Dots from Georgia Arms for carry. The "Lead Away" cloth is chemically treated and is not abrasive. I use one to clean the cylinder face of my 342. Finally, the caution on lead bullets is for those in Plus P loadings. Standard velocity lead loads are fine in the titanium S&W's.

I have been 100% pleased with my Total Titanium Taurus M85 38 snubbie. Mine is stealth gray and has a ported barrel. It performs and looks perfect!

The Lead Away clothes work great on Stainless Steel guns, but are not recommended for blued surfaces. I don't know what their effect on titanium surfaces would be, so I'd be cautious in using them.

I have a 342PD AirLite Ti and have had no problems with it so far. For a gun of its weight, I find it more comfortable to shoot than I expected. I think the Hogue Bantam grips are a big help. To me, shooting the 342PD with +P's feels about the same as shooting my old walnut-stocked 37 with standard pressure cartridges.

The titanium is stronger than the aluminum, so I would think longevity is enhanced. Also, for me the porting makes a big difference with the Taurus. Yeah,Yeah-the porting will blind me blah blah blah. Just my .02, thanks.

no blah blah blah from me...you recommended the hideout grip for my 442 and I am forever in your debt...port away mine snubbie compatriate (and while your blinded from the ports, I'll fill in and blast away till the spots in your eyes go away);)

BTW...as for stronger, the only difference is the cylinders....both smiths are aluminum frames..mine has a steel cylinder, the 342, titanium...how is the taurus built? It's too heavy to be all titanium so is it just the cylinder also?

The "Total Titanium" Taurus has a titanium frame, and titanium cylinder.

The "Ultralight" Taurus has a aluminum frame, and aluminum cylinder.

The "Ultralight Titanium" has a aluminum frame, and a titanium cylinder.

Back