Titanium - Taurus vs. Smith & Wesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob S

I recently bought a new s&w 342 in .38 special, it has an aluminum frame and titanium cylinder. I've recently read where Taurus just came out with all titanium 38's. Does anyone know how these two guns compare? Also, does anyone know how the finish on my new 342 will hold up to sweat and other problems associated with concealed carry? Any info would be appreciated.

Latest issue of American Handgunner had a review of the titanium Smith snubbies. A few months ago, they did the Tauri.

Tauri are available in calibres from .32 Mag to .45 Colt, while the Smith is .38+P only. The Smith kicks like Pat Buchanan being dragged into a Gay Pride meeting, Tauri in all calibres are smooth, easy shooters, mostly due to the Ribber grip. Finally, the entire frame of the Taurus is titanium, while only the cylinder is Ti in the Smith.

Anent finish, titanium is chemically and physically inert, so corrosion isn't an issue.

HTH.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

I finally found one of these babies at a gun store. I fondled the .38 in stealth gray and was very impressed. You have to hold one to actually appreciate the workmanship. If I had the money (these Taurus guns are a little pricey) I would go for it. Except maybe in .44 special. The "Ribber" grip combined with barrel porting apparently has tamed recoil to a reasonable level for a revolver only weighing 15oz. I believe Taurus has Smith beat on these babies.

I was surprised to see Taurus fit & finish look and feel better than S&W on alloy and .22 small and medium revolvers. Taurus is getting better, but is S&W slipping?

I just bought a .38 special in the Taurus. I was pleased from the first time i picked it up. All my experience with handguns has been with .40 cal. I heard how the S&W Titaniums kicked pretty much, but the Taurus was not that bad at all. Shot 130gr FMJ and 110gr Federal Personal Defense and kick was negligible to me(of course i am used to a .40) although it is loud with the ported barrel. Only around 13 or so ounces, can stick it inside your waistband without a holster and forget it is there. Very accurate one I figured out the sights of a revolver. Pleasant and fun to shoot, bought it for my wife but may end up carrying it more. I would recommend the Taurus very highly, I don't feel that is worth the extra money to get a S&W.

I recently bought a titanium S&W .38. It came with rubber grips. The recoil is a bit stout but not unpleasant and certainly manageable. The double action trigger pull is reasonably smooth and the single action trigger is very light and crisp with no creep. I carry it in a Galco Ankle Glove. I've never been a fan of ankle holsters, but this combination works well for a deep cover weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back