Tisas br9 debacle

Seven High

I have noticed that several posters mentioning a debacle with the br9. They have disappeared from the market. Does anyone have any recent information about this? I was unaware of any problems.

I have not noticed any posts reporting problems (let alone a "debacle") with the Tisas BR9. Since I'm a fan of the Hi-Power, I think I would have noticed. Do you have any links?

Having read your post, I did an Internet search for 'Tisas BH9 problems." What I came up with was a pile of reviews that all agreed it's an excellent pistol -- and two articles that claimed to have discovered "issues." Both of those articles were on the web site of a company called BH Spring Solutions, and -- wouldn't you know it? -- they just happen to make springs that they claim will cure all the problems they claim to have found.

What a happy coincidence!

I have not noticed any posts reporting problems (let alone a "debacle") with the Tisas BR9. Since I'm a fan of the Hi-Power, I think I would have noticed. Do you have any links?

Having read your post, I did an Internet search for 'Tisas BH9 problems." What I came up with was a pile of reviews that all agreed it's an excellent pistol -- and two articles that claimed to have discovered "issues." Both of those articles were on the web site of a company called BH Spring Solutions, and -- wouldn't you know it? -- they just happen to make springs that they claim will cure all the problems they claim to have found.

What a happy coincidence!

BH Spring Solutions was not, if my memory is correct, the only group to find issues with the Tisas. BHSS does put 8400 round through one such Tisas BR9, so while I don’t doubt there is an element of commercialization in their videos, they did put some effort into testing the pistol to a round count many owners won’t reach and that far exceeds what most gun reviews accomplish in what are generally glorified ads for the pistols themselves. They’ve also been selling spring and importing parts for Hi Powers and clones for some time now, so it’s not like they’re a fly by night organization that sprang up solely to make money off the Tisas (though no doubt they still want to make money off the Tisas). They’re fairly big advocates of the Hi Power. They also have a series of videos about the new SA-35.

If a person wanted to watch the videos and decide for himself or herself if the issues found warrant concern, the YouTube channel is here:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCH-IpEHrajIiEWM-2efORLw

And an article summarizing the results is here (I would say that overall they appear to have liked the pistol):

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index...l-review-of-the-tisas-regent-br9-hp-hi-power/

Edit: There is a follow on to the above article where they go over a 6000 round “torture test” (their words) and discuss the breakages they had such as the extractor at 500 rd and the firing pin retaining plate under 5000 rds. They also continued to have extraction issues they were able to trace due to an off center chamber. Supposedly all of this was communicated to Tisas and there was a dialog between the manufacturer and BHSS. In their own words they claim to have wanted the Tisas to succeed (FN had discontinued the Hi Power, used pistol prices were getting quite high, and a new source of Hi Powers would help the business).

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index...springsolutions-6000-round-tisas-test-update/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That was the only thing I could find too. It's worth noting that those tests took place 3 years ago.

My guess is that the reason the BR9 is hard to find is due to the shortage, not due to any debacle.

It’s worth noting that there are a few threads on other forums and Reddit asking if it has been discontinued, as people haven’t been able to find one in some time. That doesn’t mean it actually has been discontinued, but sourcing has been an issue (obviously that’s true of many things in recent months) and that contributes to the rumors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking for one in Texas for about a year. Can't seem to find one close enough. Now that Springfield has a Hi-power I'll probably get one of those. I do not have issues with Turkish firearms though.

I did a Br9 early this year. Was bought in box like new at show by local. I get aggravated when the young guys around here go off and buy something I told them not to. Then bring it to me when it has problems. I polished up the running gears and lubed it. It still was giving him problems and he traded it off.
I have never seen anything Turks made that I would be interested in owning. You get what you pay for.

Turkish guns

Having owned only one "Turkish" gun, a SAR9, I cannot speak solely for that country's manufacturing, but I can say mine is flawless and has never caused me any concerns. Having said that, I would find it logical that ANY manufacturer can interject a lemon now and again, for whatever reason(s) and that that should not be a petition to disregard that particular model of gun.

The Tisas Regent BR9 has gotten nothing but rave reviews on any YouTube videos I've been able to peruse. They do seem to be in short supply, however and for reasons unknown to me, they are quite difficult to obtain. If there were problems with them, this would not necessitate the ceasing of production as much as the fixing of the problems, with a continuance of the product.

I have no idea why anyone would make a blank statement ("Do not buy Turkish guns.") without further explanation.

BCR1 Memo to self, don't buy anything turk made.
Drm50 I have never seen anything Turks made that I would be interested in owning. You get what you pay for.
Two guys with very little experience with Turkish firearms or their quality?

I've transferred hundreds with many customers being repeat buyers.
Like Drm50, I haven't bought anything the Turks made, but if they offered a gun I wanted I would not hesitate to buy.

Out of those 3-400, I've not had to return a single one to the manufacturer/importer. I can't say the same about Kimber. And Kimber is supposed to be a premium manufacturer. Mind you, I just do transfers, I'm not selling these out of my inventory. I don't really give a hoot what gun people buy.

"you get what you pay for" is sometimes a wholly ignorant evaluation or measure of quality.
When Beretta chose to have production of the Cougar handguns moved to their Stoeger subsidiary, they took the machinery to...........Turkey.:eek: The design and quality of that Cougar is exactly the same as the ones made in Italy. The Stoeger Cougars were less expensive than the Beretta marked Cougars....so "you get what you pay for" was really "you got the same, for less".

I have a Canik TP9v2, and a bunch of Sar made semiautos and even a Sar made revolver. Zero issues with any of them. They are all very well made and a couple of the were amazingly cheap. I would take any of them over most other guns, regardless of price. My Sar CM9 G2 cost $250 shipped, and it's my house gun now. Shoots great and has never missed a beat. The grip on it is just about perfect, IMHO.

Have a Tisas 1911

Manufacturing of pistols is not rocket science. Since I did not have a 1911 .45 thought I would see what all the fuss was about.

Bought a Tisas 1911 from Buds, it's a fine pistol. I see why folks like the 1911, for me rather "meh" ya I'll keep it, nah I won't shoot it much.

Some might say spend the money on a higher end .45 that would make zero difference to me.

I have a new phone on the way, were that made in Turkey I might be concerned.
Based on my experience with the Tisas 1911, no qualms at all with purchasing from a Turkish manufacturer.

Just about every BUYER I read of (including me) has been very happy with the Tisas BR9. I got the stainless model and wished I had bought two.

I'm not a fan of the 9mm cartridge in general but I do like the Hi-power a lot and have a couple of genuine Hi-powers and the BR9 was the gun (IMO) Browning should have made.

Anyway, The Tisas became unavailable long before the COVID pandemic and it's a mystery why they just ceased production.

Back