Tisas 1911 Recall

Just saw this too - would be curious to know the opinions of more experienced 1911 owners as to what the potential problem might be. My Raider (October 2023 purchase) has been flawless for the first 75 or so rounds I've put through it without even a hint of this problem. Would hate to send it back for them to 'fix' the potential issue and simultaneously turn the gun into a jam-o-matic or give it an eight pound trigger (have read that this tends to happen on occasion, lol).

I guess my question to the 1911 community would be what is the potential risk/danger/likelihood of this occurring in semi-broken-in/well-functioning example? On the fence as to whether its worth the risk of returning if mine isn't displaying any signs of a problem.

The most likely causes could include sears with an incorrect tip profile, hammers with the cocking notch too shallow, and hammers with the cocking notch cut at an incorrect angle.

I don't think 75 rounds is nearly enough to conclude that your pistol doesn't or won't have the problem. Many manufacturers of 1911s regard 500 rounds as the minimum to be considered "broken in." If your pistol is in the affected group, I would definitely send it in.

Consider the legal implications if your pistol were to suffer an accidental discharge and someone is injured as a result. There would almost certainly be a lawsuit. It will probably come out that your pistol was subject to a recall, and that you elected NOT to send it in for repair. That's going to look a lot like negligence in a courtroom.

It's good that Tisas has been contacting EVERYONE that is known to have purchased any one of their 1911s. They are also trying to streamline the process. Even though none of the four Tisas 1911s I've purchased are among the models involved I still received an email notification.

I'm very pleased at how quickly and openly they are addressing this issue.

Appreciate the insight, Aguila. All things considered, I'll likely send it in for recall modification. Hopefully there will be more information of observed faults released by Tisas as their sample size of returned handguns increases.

Thanks again for posting.

If your pistol is in the affected group, I would definitely send it in.

Good advice and I think you're smart for taking it.

That said, I had a good friend that bought a genuine Colt 1911 (used) in about 1970 and although the gun shot without problems if he used the slide release with no magazine or rounds in the gun the hammer would drop down to the half cock position. Something he said he'd take it to a gun smith 'some day'.

Another possible cause that was suggested on another forum is a defect (possibly an un-machined parting line) on the disconnector. While that might cause some problems, I'm not convinced it can cause hammer follow -- but the guy who mentioned it swears it caused hammer follow in his [___] brand 1911 some years ago.

register

This story is a good example of why one should mail/register their new firearm if the mfg includes such a card or service in their packaging.

The Tisas rep on 1911forum.com is not saying what the fault is or what they are doing to fix it on recall. He doesn't want you tinkering with your own gun.
Hammer follow is most likely hammer, sear, disconnector, or maybe just sear spring, but don't think about it, just let the warranty clerk have it.

would be curious to know the opinions of more experienced 1911 owners as to what the potential problem might be.

It depends on what type of followdown it is. Following to half cock is most often the result of the trigger bumping the disconnect when the slide slams home, and is most often...about 99% of the time...corrected by gently bending the center leg of the sear spring forward to apply more tension.

There's a quick test for that. Lock the slide to the rear...pull the trigger and hold it there...and release the slide. If it stops following, it's the sear spring. If it doesn't, you have other problems.

A full followdown, where the hammer makes it all the way to the firing pin is actually a ride down. The sear doesn't reset and the hammer is lowered at slide speed and is too slow to fire the gun unless the firing pin is far out of spec...making contact with the primer with the hammer fully down...which is dangerous in and of itself. The culprit here is failure of the sear to reset.

In order to cause a discharge, the hammer must be held at full cock and jar off as the slide goes to battery. This is most almost always caused by a failure of the sear to fully reset, regardless of other contributors. If the hammer jars off from bad engagement with the hammer hooks, the half cock will catch it as long as the sear is operating correctly.

Back