Tips on breaking in a new shotgun

MikeS

Tomorrow, I pick up my first gun of any type-
a new Ithaca 37 pump. I'm sure the owner's
manual will have some basic maintenance advice, but I would like to get some opinions
and tips on 1) Whether there should be some
preparation done to the shotgun before first
firing it and 2) Some sound cleaning pro-
cedures.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
for your time.

Mike

Before I shot mine, I took it apart and cleaned the receiver and internal parts with Breakfree CLP. Rubbed the exterior with Rem Oil.

Cleaned the bore with Hoppe's on bronze brush, followed by wet/dry patches til clean.

Then I shot it and shot it and shot it and . . . .

But I just got mine too (two weeks ago), and like you had no experience. This is just what I would have done with a new pistol.

Good luck.

Little needs to be done to ready that 37, after all, it's a John Browning design. I'd put a drop or two of oil or CLP on the action bar and work it back and forth until it smoothed out, but otherwise it's ready.

Pick up a cleaning kit with a brass brush, oil and some CLP while you're at the shop, and there should be a cleaning procedure listed in the owner's manual.

Dave, can you say more about the Model 37 being a Browning design?

I've got one of his pistols and my cherished A-5. I'm in the market for a new pump but realy know little about them.

John Moses, eh? Cool.

RJ

------------------
"Never turn your back on the crew."

For a man who died in the 1920s, JMB has an amazing number of designs still in production, from the Ma Duece 50 down to that little 22 semi auto.The man was to gun design what Michaelangelo was to chapel ceilings.I believe around 30 of his designs are in production somewhere at present.

Shotguns currently in US production based on his patents include the 37,870, BPS(?) and A-5. I think the Remington 1100 has some of his patents on it also, but cannot swear to it.

Others include the Winchester 97 and 12, the Remington 10,11, 31,,32,3200, and the old Savage.

JMB was an avid shotgunner, loving the new trap game,and loved making better shotguns.

That Ithaca is an excellent weapon, enjoy...

Back